Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Flares back to new looking

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I did mine with black liquid shoe polish and used the foam applicator on the bottle. Rubbed it out with an old t-shirt and they look good. I also did the plastic strip between the f/r tires and didn't have to mask off anything.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Option

Your flares look good. I did mine like that some time ago but they faded again so I'm taking a new approach and also updating the look of my 2003 at the same time by color matching the plastic parts on the Disco. Started with the handle cover on the cargo door and then did one flare to see how they would come out. Lot of people like the flat look of the plastic but I really like the way they look color matched.

I shouldn't have to ever paint these again...4 good coats of clear did the trick.

Attached Thumbnails Fender Flares back to new looking-cargo-door-handle-cover.jpg   Fender Flares back to new looking-fender-flare.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks real nice...I like the color match thing, great for a onroader but not a offroader.IMO......

Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks great. Big Jim, how did the shoe polish turn out? Seems a lot easier... but I would guess that it wouldn't last as long... I need to do this to mine.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I did mine in November and it is holding up very well. Mine gets parked inside most of the time though. I've used the liquid shoe polish for years on my other cars with plastic flares and it's really easy to do a touch up once or twice a year.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

That color match looks good...woohoo

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlestonwb
Your flares look good. I did mine like that some time ago but they faded again so I'm taking a new approach and also updating the look of my 2003 at the same time by color matching the plastic parts on the Disco. Started with the handle cover on the cargo door and then did one flare to see how they would come out. Lot of people like the flat look of the plastic but I really like the way they look color matched.

I shouldn't have to ever paint these again...4 good coats of clear did the trick.
Looks great. I guess you sanded, primered and painted.. I am looking to do the same, wondering what kind of paint you used, and grit of sandpaper.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sDot
Looks great. I guess you sanded, primered and painted.. I am looking to do the same, wondering what kind of paint you used, and grit of sandpaper.
It's kind of a long process but worth IMO. Especially if you're not using the rig for major off-roading.
1. Remove flares. I did it on a hot day, poured some adhesive remove along the seam and then doubled some fishing line and worked it back-n-forth to cut the tape. The factory tape is super strong so best way to remove leftover tape is to use a hairdryer and use your fingers to rub it off.
2. Mine were real rough so dry sand with 220 until smooth. Wet sand with 220 until you get all rough spots, gouges. This is key, because everything will show through, even with hi-build primer. Wet sand with 400.
3. Clean and spray with adhesion primer (I use Duplicor but any brand will work).
4. Let that dry for about 10 minutes and then start spraying the hi-build primer. Use as many coats as necessary. (I used Duplicolor but SEM makes a great product).
5. You can wet sand the primer same day but can do next day as well. Use 600 grit wetsand to smooth out. This should give you a nice surface.
6. Don't clean primer with anything but a little soap and water.
7. Spray basecoat color. Automotivetouchup.com will put all LR colors in a spray can. I used that on the rear door cover but tried the Duplicolor "Color-Match" product for the flare since the price was much better. I used Hyundai black and it was super close. Spry 2-4 coats of base.
8. Shoot your clear after base. Typically wait time is between 15-30 minutes after base. The clear coat from automotivetouchup.com is great. Much better than Duplicolor, which I used on flare. Getting the right clear is critical to good shine. Spray at least 4 coats of clear.
9. I didn't color sand the clear coats so it would match the factory orange peel a little better.
10. I used 3M Super Strength tape to reattach flare. Works well. By the 1/4 inch and cut exactly in half and that's perfect for the flares.
Hope that helps and good luck!