Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally 16 and looking for a car. Bunch of questions about a Disco.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally wouldn't recommend a Discovery 2 as a first vehicle either unless you plan on working on it. Even then, I still would hesitate because parts are generally pretty expensive and many require ordering online. (I've had mine about 3 years and have probably put a couple thousand into various 'little' things)

One vehicle I'd suggest is a used Jeep Cherokee rather than the Grand. They made them up until 2001 when it was replaced by the Liberty. Parts are cheap, it is easy to work on, and it gets decent mileage at the same time. If you want to build it into a serious offroader, there are still a lot of aftermarket parts available. It is definitely not as heavy duty or unique as a Discovery, but it is a great first vehicle.

Last edited by Jawbox; 10-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my Disco II at the age of 16 so I know where you're coming from here. I'll start by saying, if you dont have a job dont buy a disco. I've been very lucky with my disco II, but after being on this forum for nearly 3 years I've seen many people who have had issues with their Discos that arent cheap to fix. That being said, not all Discos will have issues like that, but the possibility is always there. If your Dad is willing to pay for problems, great, but if your anything like me, asking your parents for money is annoying. I had one major issue ($800) in the first month of ownership and since then its been oil changes and one set of new tires. I had some money set aside because I was warned that in the early stages of ownership there tends to be the most problems (since the previous owner leaves them behind in some cases). If you end up wanting a Disco, look at at least 3-4 and test drive them all. Before you buy, have a shop look over it. You'll be amazed how one disco can vary from another...

Take from that what you want. But I'm in college now and I trust my Disco II to get me home on breaks and anywhere I need to go. I have kept up with mantainence and that has made all the difference. If you want a honda-like, never-change-the-oil rice mobile; a Disco isn't it. If you want a car that can be your hobby, take you off road, camping, ect this might be an ok car to look at. Just remember, the better you take care of it, the better off you'll be. PM me if you have any questions!

Good Luck with whatever you buy, just make sure its cool.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

If you like it buy it ,like meeting the girl of your dreams,why settle for choice #2. Discovery's are no more maintenance hungry than any other vhichle. Look at it as a learning experience, buy a good set of tools and learn as you go, dad will be there to back you up.

My first car I bought for $150 a 28Ford Model A, I was 12 and spent afternoons and weekends rebuilding and restoring with my father. My father passed in 96 but I still own the Model A 43 years later and still reminds me of the times with my Dad.
When my Step-son turned 16 I bought him a GTI and he distroyed it in 1 year, he is not a car guy. But my daugther I bought a Miata , now she was a model for Victoria Secert and several others as a teenager, she changed her own oil and did all maintenance on her car(I loved it she would use my tools and would clean the tools and clean my shop).She now has he Jeep CJ at her house with a tree limb throught the radiator. I picked up a new radiator (Dads expence) today for her to install tomarrow with her son after school. Dad will be in the background for support. These family bonding times will stay with you foever. She will no let her husband touch he rcars.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

First, congrats on being 16. That's a HUGE milestone.

Some more thoughts for you. In the next few years, many things will happen that you might not expect. My folks were not rich and so I worked my way through college 40 hours a week and along the way had some significant things come up that made me really appreciate having a Toyota Celica at the time. My wife's father (girlfriend at the time) was very sick and we drove 500 miles every weekend to see him. My first job required a lot of driving with my own car (and I had zero money), and I also ran into some health problems that forced me to stop working for a while.

My point is unless your folks are loaded, you will have several times in the next 5-6 years that will cause you to be really glad that you have a cheap to run, reliable car. Highly recommend considering a Toyota pickup or a Honda CRV, something like that.

Dave

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

buy a used honda civic. save yourself the cash for college.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i say get exactly what you want and take care of it

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you drop out of school and get your own full time job, or your Dad is very comfortable financially, Get a RAV4 or CRV if you absolutely need something in which you sit higher than a car. The gas alone will cost you more in a week than your monthly allowance. So if you don't want to be broken hearted cause your Dad forces you to get rid of a vehicle you just got, go with a more user friendly vehicle. Even Jeep Grand Cherokees will ruin you gas wise.

The biggest I would suggest, is the Nissan Xterra. Cheaper in gas and much , much more reliable. My wife owned one for 5 years. You put gas, do the regular maintenance and go. No worries.....Ever.

For the record, I don't mean reliable in the way that a Disco will let you stranded on the side of the road ( unless you get a 2003), I mean that there's almost always something that needs to be addressed. And between those times, you have to be on the lookout and pay attention cause something IS coming !

Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default looking for the right vehicle at 17

Hi, im new to this forum and was hoping some of you more experienced people could help me on this, all my friends are roaming rond in small vauxhall corsas and citroens and whatnot, however relatives and family friends all reccomended a landrover im not fussy bout image, jus looking to see if landrovers are cheap to run or at least an older model is. any help would be great

Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Legacy
Hi, im new to this forum and was hoping some of you more experienced people could help me on this, all my friends are roaming rond in small vauxhall corsas and citroens and whatnot, however relatives and family friends all reccomended a landrover im not fussy bout image, jus looking to see if landrovers are cheap to run or at least an older model is. any help would be great
Start a new thred and you'll get more response. However, since you're 17 you'll get about the same type of replies.