Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting a Discovery II TODAY !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally getting a Discovery II TODAY !!

OK it's my first Rover so you guys have to tell me what to be sure to do first! It's a 2000 Discovery II, Less than 100k, all the norms, and in darn good condition compared to the ones I've been looking at. Now... what first?

[IMG]local://upfiles/7439/B5155306E71D40768CD8945ED491361D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7439/A06A983DFC8C418594E3E52ED63D9BBE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7439/C7404E6C4CF440059946503202A55412.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7439/30AE117C6A5449BF9799974BF8BD0032.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7439/161E81B7678C452FA7D4268E8EE005FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 AM
dow
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Finally getting a Discovery II TODAY !!

look at the maintenance logs and see when the last service was performed.

run an engine flush, change all the fluids to synthetic, drain and flush the radiator then refill with dexcool orange coolant, replace the plug wires with magnacor 8mms and plugs with with bosche fusions, replace the air filter with a standard replacement, have the exhaust inspected for rust and leaks, look under the floor mats for moisture...

thats about all I can think of off hand

this list is all ideal conditions. if its running well and you don't have a check engine light, these are just mere suggestions

if you do have a check engine light, goto autozone and have your codes read, then post them here

welcome to the forums

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is my overly used list of things to do for any major service as well as a just purchased high miler that you plan on keeping for ever.
If you have any question get back to me, but all this should be done so there is no question about the condition of the truck.

This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service the way I do it.
1 Oil filter , K&N 3001
1 Air filter
1 Transmission filter kit
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
Mike

Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulation, I really like white Discoveries. Sice you're here, I guess that you have done your homeworks and know about the initial couple of thousand dollars that a new buyer of a used Discovery usually has to spend to bring back this dream to like new or at least normal for its agecondition. I'm talking about possible intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, throttle body gaskets, front cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets, oil pressure switch etc..that would be responsible for oil leaks. If you have no leaks, they've either been fixed or they're coming soon.There's also the leaking rad (that I'm taking care of now myself) that will develop.

Whatever you do, do not forget that you just purchased a USED vehicle and you should start monitoring the fluid ( oils and coolant) levels NOW!!!

Even if all the Jobs I've described have to be done, Most of them can wait a while if you monitor their levels and keep adding as it goes down. Too many new Discovery owners end up with problems because they checked under the hoods too late, and find that they just overheated because they ran low on coolant due to a leaking rad that they did not know about.

Again, congrats and happy rovering. Don't forget to come back here often to learn about your Discovery. Read all problem posts to be able to diagnose things when they happen to you.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Folks on here also talk about U-joints. Check your drive shaft the next time you are tinkering around and see if you have acoupling just forward of the transfer case that will have in the following order a u-joint, coupling, then another u-joint. See if they have grease fittings. They probably will not, as they are supposedly lubed for life at manufacture. Your other u-joints are (should-be) greasable (towards the axles) as well as the prop shafts. The general idea (plz correct me if I'm wrong guys, I'm fixing to do this) is you replace those non-greasable u-joints with greasable u-joints. I'm buying them and then I'll probably go to a rover mechanic and have him do it, or if I'm feeling froggy I'll do it myself. Drive train stuff still scares me, but that hasen't stopped me from changing the clutch on my Beamer.

On that note, do a search for a Rave CD on here, or someone can point it out. Free technical manual that lists all repairs plus some handy things that need to be inspected.

You will have to go to your local parts store and get a grease fitting (don't know the size, I bought the assorted box) for the prop shafts.

This board is a great resource, itwill be with you all the way. I've stayed here since I picked up my Disco a few months ago.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is safe to say that you will have some failing u-joints in the double cardon portion of your front drive shaft where it attaches to the t/case. They need to be changed out ASAP if they have no grease fitting cause when they fail, they can take the tranny out at $7000.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Congrats on your purchase! I'm also "rehab-ing" a used rover back to health. Have fun with it!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigugly82

Congrats on your purchase! I'm also "rehab-ing" a used rover back to health. Have fun with it!

Or, as I call it, your "rescue-rover"