Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firewall Wiring and Grounding Points by Steering Column Fuse Box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022 | 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Nice one - I’m waiting for that same mount to arrive. I wanted to use double sided tape rather than screws in case I wanted to move the gauge to a cluster of gauges above the radio later, so I wouldn’t be drilling out the dash everywhere.

Do you like the OBD gauge you’ve got? I’ve seen some folks use a Bluetooth connector and smartphone or a variety of other types, but I’d rather not have to have a phone dedicated to that that I’d have to wire up and keep charged. Doesn’t the gauge you’ve got drain the battery if it’s left connected, though? When I connect my scan tool, it powers up even when the key is out.

Yeah I’m sure I’m overthinking, but it helps me to get more information in case I’m having trouble installing in one way, so I’ve got another way to approach this. I’m connected using fuse taps for now, but I could look for that special connector and rewire the gauge later on. Don’t you still have to connect it to the “headlamp” in some other way or is that also in that S12 port? I’d also have to charge the battery to check what’s happening with those pins and the car can’t be run until the new oil pump is in it, which is coming up right after I get all the old wire tubing off and redo that mess while I’m able to access more of it.
I don’t want to mount anything over the radio as that’s where I put my sunglasses case and I like that little cubby type area in general to stay clear.

So I like the Ultragauge there as it makes it really easy to see quickly- and I’m a nut about checking temp all the time. There are a million mounting locations I’ve seen, but I like the visibility of where it is. I’ve used the phone applications for quite a few years on multiple vehicles. They are great, but it takes time to connect (if BT or WiFi) and it gets to be a hassle over time. The UG is very simple, you can program some other info to show up (that is admittedly a little useless aside from voltage) but I like it’s there, the polling rate is as good as I’d want and it’s always on.

I can’t recall if the S12 port as a dimmer or not on it (just checked my notes too but I don’t have it), but when I’ve needed to be attached to the dimmer for other reasons, I used the cigarette lighter dimmer so I didn’t mess with any other ports. I bet it’s in the Rave or the electrical library you can D/L and I’d be pretty positive you could find that pin out with Google fu as I think that’s how I even got the idea for it in the first place. Again, if you know someone with a parts truck or there is a yard somewhere close, just clip the wiper motor plug with a few inches and you have the cleanest possible install.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022 | 09:02 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Definitely will have to check the D2 at the junkyard for that connector when I’m able to get to it, but for now I just need to get things connected however I can to be able to do the tests needed. I’ll get that connection going. Doesn’t that suck for the people who want to buy the motor, though? No one can find that plug otherwise?

Old 06-07-2022 | 09:08 PM
|
Rock Crawling

There are a few empty screw holes and a grounding screw I had just happened to fit pretty well, so I think that’ll be alright.