Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Discovery Owner with Q's and C's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Time Discovery Owner with Q's and C's

This would be my first Discovery Post... I was once a rebuilder and restorer of the 1970'sLand Rover Defender 90's and 110's and love the trucks.. I have come across a great deal with an older brother who is Buying and new Range Rover, and can't get out of hisdeal with his 2005 Discovery.. Lucky me, he is basically giving it to me... As far as I know it is in great working order and I will be picking it up from him this weeked.. He knows nothing of Vehicles, and can't change a Tire so I am going in blind on this...[&o]
With you guy's help and my knowledge of vehicles, i feel I can maintain this truck with too much costs to me..
What can I excpect to have happen on vehicle with this age on it?? its probably around 120,000 miles..
Are there common problems like with the Range Rover olders Suspension AirBags??
I heard Brakes are unbelievably expensive to replace, or is that just what places will charge you cause they can.. I know how to tear down and rebuild brake systems...
Any known issues with engines or engine systems??

Thanks for any advise you might have when I pick this up, things I could do or look for to go bad.. Upgrades I can make??

I own and built a big Jeep CJ-7, so Off-Roading gear not an issue to me, as I have another Toy for that..

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: First Time Discovery Owner with Q's and C's

Well there is no such animal as a 2005 Disco in the US.
So without knowing the correct year not much we can answer,sorry.
I am going to guess that you mean a 1995 but I will hold my comments until you can conferm/deny the year.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.. [&:]
Thank you for correcting me, after a little research, I am looking at a 2002, 2003 model.. I know it was the last year before they upgraded the headlights and model of the Discovery last.. I guess that change was the 2004 model... So I hope this helps with clarifying that for...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes that does, it is a 2002, 2003 was the first year of the face lift.
Yes the SLS will go bad, a coil conversion will correct that once and for all.
Blown head gaskets are the most common problem on DII's.
Do a search for the "3 amigos", they will pop up.
Make sure that you rebuild the double cardon with greasable u-joints.
You MUST use premium gas and change your coolant every 2 years.
Not much else to say at this point.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just get the sucker and enjoy it.

why is everyone SOOOOOOOO skeeerd of a truck?

there are greater things to worry about in this life. if the rig speaks to you then enjoy it.

sloppy has spoken,,,

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sloppyjoe, I love the comedy in your response, it is funnier than hell and you are right.
It seems like every time a newcomer to this forum raises a question about their new acquisition (DI & DII), they are welcomed with the doom and gloom of head gaskets, the 3 amigos (ABS, traction, HDC), droopy rear ends on the D II W/ air ride (SLS), Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) failure, oil pump failures on a narrow range of VINs in 2003, etc.

In reality, the Discovery problems are no different in frequency or $$$ than what other premium brands owners face, some of the $$$$ problems on other brands:
[ul][*]Mercedes E-Class leaking head gaskets 3.0 L, wiring harness, losing reverse gear. ML- Class, transmissions, Braking Assist Sys (BAS) locking the brakes up. S-Class air ride suspension colapsing, etc.[*]BMW V-8s blowing engines due to cylinder hardening failure, 6-cyl Double Vanos sludge, transmission oil pump hub failure, etc.[*]Saab, Lexus, Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Mercedes sludge problems requiring an engine replacement.[/ul]I have owned many DI & DII. Presently I have 3 DII. They are reliable and I would drive them cross country. I never had a headgasket failure, Fixed the 3 Amigos twice on 2 different DII, Replaced SLS with a set of springs in 45 minutes on the 2001 S7. That is it for problems.

So, welcome to all the new members, enjoy your Discovery, you made the right decision buying it. Fix what is wrong with it and keep on going, no worries. We are fortunate to be able to buy such a great luxury 4X4 for these low prices.