Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts
Default Front door speakers

Does the entire door card need to be removed to access the speakers in the lower forward corner of the front doors?

I expect the answer is yes, but I thought I'd try to get confirmation before I dive in. I found one old thread that suggested removing the card was the only way to get to the speaker. I tried gently prying out the metal grill yesterday but it wasn't moving.

While I'm at it I may as well go ahead and ask - have others here have re-foamed the Harmon Kardon speakers? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Yes. The grill is held in by metal tabs that are bent over and the speaker won't fit through the hole anyway. Honestly the panel isn't hard to remove, though. I've done it so many times I can have it off in about a minute and a half.

You probably can refoam the speakers, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd honestly be just as good with a set of cheapo's from WalMart. That said, I'd vote going to a nearby car audio shop and buying a full component set. I've got a Boston Acoustics set in mine and.... *shiver*.... it's real good. It's pricy, but it's real good. Especially when coupled with a small sub in the back to round out the sound.

Of course, then you get into swapping head units and adding an amp for the speakers. Then you swap batteries because, seriously, there is a noticeable sound difference between a lead acid battery and an AGM if you've got a decent system. I know it's true because I noticed it without even thinking of it being a possibility.

I'm going to stop. I could ramble about building a quality HiFi system all day.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Thank you, Alex.

I have one, good original HK speaker on hand that looks like new. It came out of a door I had to replace a couple of years ago (that's a whole other story) so if the ones in the truck now are shot I'll probably just try to get a good used one from Paul, Abran, et. al.

I'm not an audiophile, especially when considering equipment for a soon-to-be 18-year old truck that's entering its beater-truck stage. In fact, to me the sound system in Redrover is noticeably superior to that in any of our other three vehicles including my wife's Lexus.