Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
Do you have a source for these? They seem to be about $300 online and I can not find a place to rebuild one.
thanks,
I installed this one, took about 15 mins to change it. Even with my Dog helping! She did bore quickly... See attachments.

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

So far, cannot be happier. Price is great, shipping was fast, and it's greaseable, with the exception of the large Ball. Time will tell, but my OE Shaft got about 104k miles.

Attached Thumbnails Front Driveshaft Question-1.jpg   Front Driveshaft Question-2.jpg   Front Driveshaft Question-3.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-28-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm confused, are you asking about the small hole along the shaft in shot #2?

That is the hole for a zerk fitting to grease the spline where the 2 sections connect with the smaller one sliding into the larger one. If it isn't that hole tell us which shot to look at.

As far as making any money off of rebuilding one and selling it I wish you the best of luck! There are several well known shops that build fully greasable drive shafts and sell for a reasonable price and offer warranties or just the satisfaction to the buyer that they have a shaft built by someone who knows what they are doing and uses first class parts. Many come with balancing included although short shafts seldom need it and most will not just take an OEM shaft and add the greasable parts but build the shaft from scratch with a newer stronger tube. Some even add a new CV Socket Yoke that adds a grease point for the centering ball which is missing on the OEM.

And if you don't want to mail order one and live in an average size town or city you can have any good local drive line shop with the tools and know how build one which will be much the same as the ones from the big name shops we all know. And finally some folks rebuild them for themselves to save money or just to feel the satisfaction of DIY. Drive shafts are not complicated and have been around since the start of automobiles but they do have some important factors to consider for anyone rebuilding their own. They can self destruct in a few seconds and take out your transmission if not done right.

Not trying to be harsh but realistic. You are already questioning what a hole is for and seem uncertain about rebuilding the drive shaft, why would anyone buy it rebuilt from you? If you already have a well build fully greasable shaft on your rig and maintain it you won't need this one for a spare.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Pro Wrench

If it was rebuilt with decent parts, I'm sure someone on eBay or Craigslist would pay $150-200 for it with no problem. Not everyone knows where to look for these, or how much they are worth. If they call the dealer, they'll be THRILLED to find a rebuilt on Craigslist.

I'm all about trying to make a buck or two on Craigslist. So far this year, I've made about $8000 buying and selling.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I installed this one, took about 15 mins to change it. Even with my Dog helping! She did bore quickly... See attachments.

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

So far, cannot be happier. Price is great, shipping was fast, and it's greaseable, with the exception of the large Ball. Time will tell, but my OE Shaft got about 130k miles.
It's amazing how domestic animals always turn up when you least need their affection and attentions.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It's amazing how domestic animals always turn up when you least need their affection and attentions.
At least she was not running off with my wrenches. THIS time. With her, it's not so much that she shows up, it's more that she's ALWAYS at my feet. It's actually kinda nice, especially when she's NOT helping. She's laying at my feet as I type...

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-28-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
At least she was not running off with my wrenches. THIS time. With her, it's not so much that she shows up, it's more that she's ALWAYS at my feet. It's actually kinda nice, especially when she's NOT helping. She's laying at my feet as I type...
Lovely looking dog SS, obviously a 'daddies girl'. I have a female cat that follows me around like 'Larry the lamb'. I was underneath the D2 yesterday looking at my new problems and I suddenly realised she was lying next to me looking at whatever I was looking at and there she stayed and fell asleep for a couple of hours. Incredible.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My original shaft on my '04 has a zerk on the front UJ and a hole to screw in a zerk for greasing the slider. I think the hole has a little rubber stopper in it.