Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Lines (Pipes) Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Lines (Pipes) Damaged

FNG here. After kicking the tires and some hard test driving, I bought my first Discovery II from a private owner about an hour away from where I live. I paid (what I thought at the time) a fair price for it but it ended up breaking down on the way home. I had it towed to my house and there it has sat ever since last Christmas. I have a basic to amateur knowledge level when it comes to maintaining vehicles, but the problems I am facing require me to reach out for some advice. After a hefty diagnostic fee from a local mechanic, I learned the transfer case chain broke off and some of the internal gears were probably sheared in the process, and this caused some damage to the front drive shaft. During this failure, the transfer case also overheated and ate through the fuel lines above it. I have a low miles used transfer case that I am replacing the busted one with, and also have good used drive shaft.

My question:

I need to replace the fuel line, but what should I replace it with? The OEM line seems very fragile and I would hate for another overheating part to eat through it and start a fire. I would like to install something stronger and I have looked through this forum and others, but haven't found a straight answer for my dilemma. Replacing this part of the fuel lines will require some top engine disassembly so I want to be sure what parts to get. I understand that a quick patch where the fuel line has been melted is not a feasible or safe fix. I await your advice, and thank you upfront.

2002 Discovery II SE with the 4.0