Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default gear light flashing

So I'm currently sitting on the side of the road.. In a nasty storm.. This light started to flash after I tried for low range. Now the truck refuses to move. Somebody please help.

gear light flashing-forumrunner_20140214_053159.jpg

Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Winching

A little more info.. The 4wd shifter returns to what I imagine is the neutral position. It will not stay in either hi or low

Old 02-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is from the manual. I hope this helps.

with the vehicle stationary and the engine running, apply both foot brake and parking brake and then move the automatic gearbox selector to the "N" (neutral) position before moving the transfer lever fully forward or backwards to the required position.

If there is resistance to the gear engaging, do not force the lever. Instead, with the engine running, apply the foot brake and parking brake, momentarily engage "D" (drive) on the main gearbox then return to the "N" position and try again.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Winching

Well.. Aside from the proper procedure.. The cable snapped. Upon further inspection I believe it may have fallen victim to a driveshaft failure. The cable is smashed and rusted.. now broken. I managed to get it back into 4h. Used Used a screwdriver as a prybar and pushed the lever on the transfercase forward. Drove around.. it seems fine. Truck is a disaster.. but it drives.

How do I stop the stupid neutral alarm and flashing light?

gear light flashing-forumrunner_20140214_092125.jpg

Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by zeroone
Well.. Aside from the proper procedure.. The cable snapped. Upon further inspection I believe it may have fallen victim to a driveshaft failure. The cable is smashed and rusted.. now broken. I managed to get it back into 4h. Used Used a screwdriver as a prybar and pushed the lever on the transfercase forward. Drove around.. it seems fine. Truck is a disaster.. but it drives.

How do I stop the stupid neutral alarm and flashing light?

Attachment 19869
Good to hear you are moving again at least. How fast were you driving in low gear? You can cook your T-Case if you don't drive very slow.

When you say it may have been from a driveshaft failure, are you talking about a previous failure or did it fail today?

So, the Neutral alarm is on and flashing, but you are driving fine?
That is weird!!
I would check the neutral sensor and the High/low warning switch for damage. You might be able to turn off the light by unplugging one of them, but I don't know how that will effect things.

Neutral sensor and high low warning switch.pdf

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-14-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Winching

Thanks for the suggestion jared.. but it still flashes and bongs.. Omg it's annoying. Lol. When I get to work.in an hour or so I'll reach back down there and pull on the busted end of the cable with a pair of pliers to make sure it's all the way in gear. Worst it can do is slip out.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi

The gear light flashes when the gears in auto aren't properly engaged particularly after a cable has been installed. It means it's usually not synchronised with the selected gear. Do be careful it doesn't jump out of gear or into another.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Winching

It feels solidly engaged. I cannot push the lever on the transfercase any farther forward. I have no abnormal noises of any sort. It drives as if nothing is wrong. Transfer case doesn't even get all the that hot.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

1) Have you checked all of the wires to the sensors in the transfer case? Check really close. If your shift cable was bad enough to snap then those small wires are probably not far behind.

2)Maybe try disconnecting the battery cable and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

3) You may want to unscrew the whole sensor from the T-Case to make sure that it isn't damaged. Check both the Neutral sensor and High low warning switch I show you above

Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Check these 2 sensors very, very close for damage. Actually remove the sensor and switch from the T-Case and inspect them. Follow the wires and check for a break, cut or short somewhere. My guess it you damaged the Neutral warning Sensor.

Check part #27 in this diagram for damage.pdf

Check part #32 in this diagram for damage.pdf

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-14-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: gear light flashing