Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap

ptschram dude you really seam to know what your talking bout, As I've seen a 4.6 and a 3.9 stripped and laying side by side and the looked the same.

I also talked to a friend who is about to do a 4.6 upgrade and he told me the same you can use the 4.6 block but have to change the cam and timing cover

Cheers

Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: desertdude

ptschram dude you really seam to know what your talking bout, As I've seen a 4.6 and a 3.9 stripped and laying side by side and the looked the same.
Cheers
I've been making my living with Land Rovers for almost five years now. I still make mistakes (the last guy who was perfect got crucified) but like to think I have good handle on them.

Some days it's a struggle. Today is one of the rare days where it's a "job" and not just playing in the shop. I hate DIIs!I got the oil pan off, now to pull the front cover and upper intake. Tomorrow, I get to swap the drive plate on another DII and then, it's onto a RRC that's barely worth the tow bill to get it to me.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Cool Bro, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

I had a 96 FXI ( I see the FXI was only a gulf thing ). But now I'm looking to get a 98 or 99 D1. Was being offered a good DII for silly money the price of a decent 96/7. But passesd, I like DI's better.

Q time: All the FXis I have seen are 96 havent seen any 97/8/9's and what the diffrence between a normal and an FXi

Also some have the front roof rails and some don't but all other stuff seams the same.

What are the major or minor diffrences in the 96/97/98/99 as from the outside they all look the same .

I've almost finalised a silver 98, but it has two ****les. First the HVAC control unit fasica is broken, but the A/C and other controls work. How hard a job is that to replace. Also the when the parking lights are switched on everything is ok, but when all full lights are switched on the inside lights go off. The owner says just need to replace the stalk on the right had of the steering, could that be it.

Other than that its a solid runner and has the whole suspension and steering bushing and brakes work done just last month. He is my neighbour and I asked him he was selling his car so I an be reasonably assured its it good nick with no hidden surprises as it is his daily driver.

Thanks

DD

Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't really address the FX vehicles as I'm not familiar with them-could be a gulf-spec designation.

there are very feww major differences in most Discos between '96 and '99, again, there may be greater variation in gulf-spec vehicles. NAS< few differences and none really substantive.

Replacing the HVAC controls is about an hour job, not too bad.

Could well be the headlight switch, they fail and cause all manner of problems.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Well I found out the FXI and FXIxs is a GCC thing. Also searching some forums I found this post that this guy had a fender bender on the front right side caused a loose ground causing similar probs and this car has also had a fender bender n the front rightside ( don't you just love the forums ) could also be the light stalk.