Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my ABS Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my ABS Fault Code

Hey all,

I finally got around to buying the Autocom CDP+ last week, like $90 total. It's awesome. I can get diagnostics, read/erase codes, test functionality of almost anything in the truck, and even make driving adjustments.

I read my ABS codes and I had '88', which it said was an unknown fault code.

After clearing that and the P1590 (which is just saying that the amigos are on) on the ECU, all lights except for the ABS light went off. My guess is that my ABS sensors are clogged up, which I'm pretty sure there's some way I can check each one individually with the Autocom. I haven't figured that out yet.

Anybody know what ABS code 88 is?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Here are the actual 3 Amigo fault code numbers. Might want to buy a tested, well proven ABS reader so you get the correct information.

Disco II ABS Codes

Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Here are the actual 3 Amigo fault code numbers. Might want to buy a tested, well proven ABS reader so you get the correct information.
I probably ought to update mine (I've got the older firmware) but that looks to me like 88 would be the front left ABS sensor (it just isn't numbered in that list).

Any tips on how to properly clean the sensor? I vaguely remember someone saying something about remembering to grease the sensor after you wipe it clean..

Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator

You first need to verify what is wrong, if it is the speed sensor, cleaning may not be the issue, it may have failed, it could also be a bad reluctor ring, spelling may be wrong, but if it is not giving the proper signals to the speed sensor, then that can also throw your code.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You first need to verify what is wrong, if it is the speed sensor, cleaning may not be the issue, it may have failed, it could also be a bad reluctor ring, spelling may be wrong, but if it is not giving the proper signals to the speed sensor, then that can also throw your code.
The code cleared and my ABS light ended up going away. After driving around town for 30 minutes, it hasn't returned. I have a ton of brake dust because the schmoe PO installed crappy pads. I'll report back if they return--I'm changing the pads/rotors this weekend so I might as well clean the sensors then.

Still, any advice on cleaning up a dirty ABS speed sensor?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Just as another point, I have found that after disconnecting the battery on occasions the diagnostic scanner throws up the occasional ABS fault code (usually shuttle valve failure) and after clearing the codes and running for some days/weeks no more fault codes - just a thought before you start tearing the ABS system apart. I concur entirely with Mike, you need to identify the source of the problems by elimination but I would clear all the codes first and then use the truck and retest for the codes which, if there is a problem, will reappear in the list.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Chance are the code will come back. As for new pads, seriously consider only using Akebono ceramic pads, they don't make dust, don't squeak, stop faster and last longer.
Don't forget to do a full 2 quart brake flush to help firm up your pedal.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey Captain, I've had the same ABS light stay one as well. I'm also using the Autocom unit. I read the codes again... everything was clear... (light was still on) Cleared to codes one more time (even when there were no codes showing) Light went out.

It's been out for a couple of weeks now. I've been offroad and everything.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Just try to move the sensor out toward the wheel.
on a D1 - you just push the sensor OUT by light tapping on it with a steel rod.
The sensors on a D1 are friction fit.

Also,
if your wheel bearings are loose, you will have play around corners and that will make the sensor go a mm or two away from the reluctor and maybe fault a code.

Jack it up and pull the axle and the wheel bearing retaining cotter pin and tighten the wheel bearing on the offending wheel.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When I bought my DII, it came with brand new brakes. I have not changed, them, but will be shortly. They squeal quite often. Sometimes when they squeal, they cause 3 amigos. If I reset the code using the ScanGuage before the codes set HARD, then they go away until the next time my brakes squeal.

I recently loaned my truck to my brother and forgot to tell him to reset the Pending Codes, and it set the 3 Amigos HARD. I now have the CDP+ and it cleared the codes just fine. Before clearing, I checked, and it said it was the Rear Left Sensor Output was out of range. That's the same pad that squeals.

When I replace the pads, (With Akebono's), I'll check, verify, clean, adjust, inspect, etc, the sensors...