Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grease/oil contamination on rear caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default grease/oil contamination on rear caliper?

I already checked the vent tube and replaced the O-ring axle seal and I am still getting contamination, could it be coming from the hub assembly? After examining the fluid it smells like grease but cant tell really. also could this be causing my 4 brake lights to come on? I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads and cleaned everything up really good incudling abs sensors and lights stayed off for a week or so until i started getting the contamination again.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Rock Crawling

The contamination is behind the wheel flange on the hub. I am thinking maybe the bearings on the hub are going bad allowing oil to pass them and leak out? So if gear oil is leaking into my hub could that cause faults cauisng all the amigos plus the brake light to come on?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And it will mix with brake dust and make a black rubbery compound. Did you clean inside the bango bolt for the vent tube? I had to remove mine from the axle where it attaches the vent tube, and it was packed with mud. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...caliper-42635/

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-02-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And it will mix with brake dust and make a black rubbery compound. Did you clean inside the bango bolt for the vent tube? I had to remove mine from the axle where it attaches the vent tube, and it was packed with mud.
There is no bango bolt on mine just a pressed in tube fitting to accept the vent tube. I could try to pry it out I guess.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't do that. Compressed air into vent line? Squirt in brake cleaner and shop vac out? Piece of weedwhacker line shoved in?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove the axle breather, becareful because it can break.
Blow through it with your mouth like a straw, if it is clogged you need to clean it out.
Otherwise your hub is bad, and yes, the grease/oil/brake dust can set off the 3 Amigo's.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Falso.

The O-Ring you speak of is NOT the cause of gear oil leaks 99.99% of the time - the inner seal within the actual hub assembly/bearing is the problem, and is NOT user serviceable save for elaborate shop equipment and hydraulic presses etc.. and is never worth the PITA experience.

It's also nearly impossible to block a vent tube to the point where it will force gear oil through a bearing seal in the hub assembly - that's not how the vent works and it won't build up pressure in that manner, you're barking up the wrong tree (ask me how I know).

I had a rear caliper exhibit this behavior and would always smell a faint gear oil scent near the rear doors of the vehicle - noticed the inside of the wheel was also smeared with gear oil (dried up.. was obviously leaking very slowly..) - I finally replaced the hub with a rather inexpensive used one / low miles that I found on ebay and haven't had any problems since!!

Last edited by EstorilM; 08-02-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Falso.

The O-Ring you speak of is NOT the cause of gear oil leaks 99.99% of the time - the inner seal within the actual hub assembly/bearing is the problem, and is NOT user serviceable save for elaborate shop equipment and hydraulic presses etc.. and is never worth the PITA experience.

It's also nearly impossible to block a vent tube to the point where it will force gear oil through a bearing seal in the hub assembly - that's not how the vent works and it won't build up pressure in that manner, you're barking up the wrong tree (ask me how I know).

I had a rear caliper exhibit this behavior and would always smell a faint gear oil scent near the rear doors of the vehicle - noticed the inside of the wheel was also smeared with gear oil (dried up.. was obviously leaking very slowly..) - I finally replaced the hub with a rather inexpensive used one / low miles that I found on ebay and haven't had any problems since!!
Very useful information here I appreciate it. I will be getting a new hub assembly or low miles one! Were your lights on?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I would not say that a vent tube can't be plugged, mine was. And it will create pressure from oil vapor and force oil out in strange places. Mine did. If it did not need a vent, they would not have installed one.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.