Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding metal and hesitation when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Grinding metal and hesitation when reversing

It's already been noted that I need new pads, but lately after driving around and listening more closely, it may be more severe than just break pads. As stated above I'm hearing some metal to metal grinding when I step on the break pedal, and when I'm driving around at really low speeds. BUT as of this past Saturday I noticed that when I put the truck in reverse the metal to metal grinding gets noticeably louder and their is irregular hesitation in reversing. Seems to require more pressure on the gas pedal than normal to reverse the truck.

Yes I KNOW I NEED TO SERVICE THE BREAKS. I'm buying cheap lockeed pads/rotors this Friday as a temporary measure until I can afford the high performance rotors to compliment my new (still in box) AKEBONO pads.

But before I remove the wheels and inspect the system and start the work I need to know if the issues described above are all linked to faulty pads and rotors.... or something worse like the driveshafts or the transfer case? Any input greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
It's already been noted that I need new pads, but lately after driving around and listening more closely, it may be more severe than just break pads. As stated above I'm hearing some metal to metal grinding when I step on the break pedal, and when I'm driving around at really low speeds. BUT as of this past Saturday I noticed that when I put the truck in reverse the metal to metal grinding gets noticeably louder and their is irregular hesitation in reversing. Seems to require more pressure on the gas pedal than normal to reverse the truck.

Yes I KNOW I NEED TO SERVICE THE BREAKS. I'm buying cheap lockeed pads/rotors this Friday as a temporary measure until I can afford the high performance rotors to compliment my new (still in box) AKEBONO pads.

But before I remove the wheels and inspect the system and start the work I need to know if the issues described above are all linked to faulty pads and rotors.... or something worse like the driveshafts or the transfer case? Any input greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced these issues?
It's hard to say for sure whether or not the pads/rotors are the culprit. I suggest pulling the wheels and start by inspecting the pads, rotors, and hub assembly. Sounds like something is binding up. Raise all four wheels and have someone put it in gear to get the wheels moving then apply the brakes. It should be obvious. If you do not hear the noise, don't get discouraged it may need to have a load applied for it to start acting up again.

Whats the status of your front propshaft? Is it factory non-greasable? Has it been replaced w/ a greaseable solution? If the latter, have you been greasing it on the regular?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like brake rotors as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by coors
It's hard to say for sure whether or not the pads/rotors are the culprit. I suggest pulling the wheels and start by inspecting the pads, rotors, and hub assembly. Sounds like something is binding up. Raise all four wheels and have someone put it in gear to get the wheels moving then apply the brakes. It should be obvious. If you do not hear the noise, don't get discouraged it may need to have a load applied for it to start acting up again.

Whats the status of your front propshaft? Is it factory non-greasable? Has it been replaced w/ a greaseable solution? If the latter, have you been greasing it on the regular?

I'm still using the stock front shaft for the moment. I'm aware of the issues with them not being fully greaseable and the potential for creating a hole in the transfer case. I inspected the shaft and its firm in place with no visible damages yet, and Ive been paying close attention for potential noises or vibrations when traveling at 70 MPH - I will replace the shaft soon.

Regarding the breaks. I recall a similar experience back when I owned my 98 D1. One of the caliper bolts broke on the front passenger side, causing one end of the caliper to slip off the rotor and scrap against the wheel, made similar noises and vibrations while reversing.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
TReK

Although I do not believe it to be the propshaft, my concern at the moment is that maybe the entire wheel hub **** the bed.... but its also very possible that I just need to replace the pads and rotors. Again I'm buying a cheap lockeed kit this weekend and will be doing the work myself. Unfortunately I dont have a lift so gotta figure out the best way to get the truck off the ground so I can inspect the noises.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Camel Trophy

After a long drive put your hand near the wheel, if it's hot you probably have a seized caliper.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
After a long drive put your hand near the wheel, if it's hot you probably have a seized caliper.
are we talking about radiating heat? and if the caliper was seized that means gotta replace them right?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah but you can find replacement ones relatively cheap. And yes, I'm talking about radiating heat near the wheel. After a long enough drive you'll be able to tell.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Yeah but you can find replacement ones relatively cheap. And yes, I'm talking about radiating heat near the wheel. After a long enough drive you'll be able to tell.
Alright I'll keep an eye on the wheels, thanks for the tip. Regarding replacement of rotors and pads, a break fluid flush is not required correct? Since I'm not actually disconnecting the calipers.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy

I didn't do a flush when I changed mine