Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm back, and with an update and looking for a cure. With new pump in hand I took on the task, first getting that one inch thick carpet and mat back. Wow..that was harder than it sounds. But moving forward pretty straight forward, untill I got to the retaining/locking ring. That thing won't budge. Screwdriver and hammer tapping did not work. Any suggestions? It will not move and wound up putting it back together with old pump still in there. I sure don't want to buy that hundred dollor LR tool. The pump I recieved has a black connection on top with a vacume connection and swithch connection. Can I just put a plug on that vacume connect? Think I recieved one for non-secondary air injection. Thanks

Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you get the pump?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you do not have the correct pump you will get trouble codes and I am pretty sure it wont work anyway.

As for the retainer ring...you need a bigger hammer.
I used a small pry bar and a 3lb sledge hammer to get mine loose, I also sprayed the ring with Liquid Wrench to try and free it.
Took me a hour just to get the damn ring off.
Make sure you tighten the ring and then try and loosen it, 2 steps forward and one step back kind of thing.
Under the plastic ring is a steel ring, that is what screws onto the fuel tank, the steel ring, its rusts.

Beat it like a rented mule. (just dont mess it up so bad you have to take it somewhere)

It is best to have a new retainer ring and fuel pump gasket too.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, back from my travels and Saturday gave me an opportunity to work on my Disco. The liquid wrench worked perfect. Coated it real good, let it set and then a few taps from the hammer and screwdriver and the retainer ring was off. I put in the other unit, and it works perfect. The biggest problem I really faced was getting that carpet back. Toall...take it slow when pulling it back so you don't break any trim. looks like a success at this point. Thanks for all the help. Now on to the the lock actuators. Oh, and was having trouble keeping the wife out of mine, so I went and bought her a o1 Disco with 88,000 on it and in white. Really like the color, and this one has had alot done to it already...drive shaft, head gaskets ect. Has a complete dealer maint schedule. It's a SE which makes me a little jealous as mine is a SD with few options like hers.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your sick man, your sick...