Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has my 97 Disco already had propshaft rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010 | 04:39 PM
|
Drifting

They were just shavings, for sure. Glad it isn't anything to be too concerned with. i got all of my fluids drained and changed and took her out for a test spin. there is definitely a huge difference in the buck or jerk that was going on when I would shift into reverse...it is pretty much non existent now. But, I am still having concerns with the way the truck feels when I let off of the gas completely at about 40mph...the clunk underneath seems way too much to be normal. Many of the guys on here have said that some clunking is to be expected, but it feels very odd to me. I greased all of my UJ's but have not rebuilt the shaft yet...maybe I NEED to do that. I was hoping a good greasing would do the trick but I am not convinced that this sound/feeling is normal. I have never owned an all-time 4WD vehicle, so maybe I am being overly sensitive to the sensation. Can you guys hear and feel the clunk from the front shaft when you let off the gas completely?

Old 06-13-2010 | 07:31 PM
Team Owner

I get no clunks when letting off the gas but I do get one when coming to a complete stop or when shifting from drive to reverse and vise versa.

I can keep the drive to reverse one from happening if I shift into neutral and coast a few feet before stopping and shifting into reverse.
It has done this for 40,000 miles.

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench

I will frequently get a clunk if I let off the gas completely, coast a bit, then reapply the gas before the transmission downshifts. The clunk happens when I reapply throttle. If I wait a bit longer while coasting for the transmission to downshift before reapplying throttle, no clunk.
I know it is NOT coming from my front shaft, because nothing changed when I had the front shaft removed from the car and I was driving in CDL for two days.
It might be coming from my rear shaft (u-joint is no longer accepting grease), the transfer case, or rear axle backlash. I plan on changing the rear shaft u-joint in the near future. If that doesn't cure it, I may pull the rear axle and check backlash.

For now, I just watch the tach for a change before I reapply throttle if I have had to take my foot off the pedal for any reason.

When changing from park to reverse, drive to reverse, or reverse to drive, I do get a noise, which could be described as a very faint clunk, but I can just attribute this all of the gearing changing directions, and I'm not concerned.

Old 06-13-2010 | 09:07 PM

When I first got mine, it would make a clunking noise when letting off the accelerator and allowing it to coast and then again when accelerating withoutout the tranny downshifting like the LordMorph reported.

It stopped doing that when I did drain and refill the front and rear differentials. What came out of my front diff was very black and not as much volume as I had anticipated. I refilled them with Mobil One 75W90 and they have been quiet ever since.

Picked up 75W140 for the TC, just haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Old 06-13-2010 | 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
It stopped doing that when I did drain and refill the front and rear differentials.
Some people have all the luck... I did my front and rear diffs with BG full synthetic 75w140, and transfer case with BG SynchroShiftII over a year ago. Had the noise before and after. I was hoping it was my front shaft- nope. The rear shaft u-joint that no longer accepts grease doesn't have any play, and the roto-flex has no cracks.

Eh, I've got the next two days off, I might as well replace that u-joint, even though I know I am still going to have the noise afterward.

It's not too bad just waiting for it to downshift, but the person driving behind me surely questions my behaviour.

Old 06-13-2010 | 10:27 PM
|
Drifting

I too was hoping that a simple fluid change would make all the difference, especially when I saw how black and nasty the front diff fluid I drained out was, but I am still getting the noise. i guess the next step is to lock the CDL and remove my front shaft to see if I still get the noise. If I don't, I assume that replacing the UJ's is the next logical step. Although I am a bit nervous about my first propshaft rebuild, I'm sort of hoping that is what it is so that I can fix it and move on to some of the other issues my truck has. I just bought my Disco from a guy that neglected things and I am trying to get it back to 100%. Thanks everybody for your input.

Oh, and as far as the clunking and accelerator, I don't have the downshift issue. It is only when I and going around 25-45mph at low rpms and let off the gas completely/quickly.

Old 06-14-2010 | 08:37 AM
Team Owner

If you look under the rear of the truck, where the axle mounts to the frame, there is a "A" arm and that bushing goes bad and will cause a clunk.