Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have questions..New to LR and Forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have questions..New to LR and Forum.

Hello, I recently entered into the LR family with a purchase of an '04 Disco. I did some research before buying, knew that these are expense to maintain going in, but at the same time these offer lots of off road enjoyment and I like the classic styling.I have 40K on the odometer.

I have a couple questions after a recent visit to the dealer... actually 2nd visit since the first time I dropped it offer forservice (which was scheduled in advance) they accomplished nothingthat day and said it would be several days before it was ready... not use to this type of servicebeing an owner of other euro cars...so I had another 2 week trip coming up and figured I'd leave theDisco with the dealer to address theitems I wantedfixed or adjusted... the service rep called prior to doing the work which I agreed to the price / service needed since I didn't have the time prior and don'tcurrently have the time to addresssome of these myself or elsewhere at the moment:

Are these fair prices for brakes... seems really expensive... I have changed brakes before on my BMW and it was easy, are these really labor intensive with expensive parts?:
- Frontbrakes+rotors... $589
- Rear brakes+rotors.. $489

- Throttle body cleaning... $49 (not sure if this is needed or why it was done... I didn't ask for it or agree to it... but thought I would check herebefore complaining back to the dealer incase it is a worthwhile service).Will this result in better gas mileage... is that the purpose?

- Is there a listing somewhere that identifies what is done at each service interval? They performed the 45K service while it was in there... but I am only at 40K.

- I am missing the CD changer cassette (was missing when I bought it)... does anyone know what brand it is and if I can just buy a used one off of eBay or something to use?

- Is there a shock/spring kit that is highly recommended... the rear feels soft and the dealer recommended OME... I will be using this vehicle to tow from time to time... approx 4000 lbs... I am guessing I will need HD springs all around? Is this a fairly straightforward DIY project or should I schedule time at a shop (that charges lessthan the dealer), toget it done?

Thanks... I hope to learn a lot of the forum to do some of the servicing of the LR myself... I get enjoyment from DIY projects and I am looking forward to eventually modifying it for moreoff road use as time progresses.

-Tony

Old 05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Have questions..New to LR and Forum.

Tony,
You have a lot of questions. Send me your tele number or call me and I will be glad to walk you thru all your concerns.
By the way, don't ever let the dealer get away with holding your truck over cause they are busy, have the give you a free driver till it is ready.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net