Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum...a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum...a couple of questions

I just bought my first Land Rover. A green '99 Discovery I SD. Everything is stock except for the brush bar, mud flaps DVD system installed by the previous owner (rathers poorly I might add...), and the Alpine CD player. It's actually the first vehicle that I bought on my own...I'm very happy with it thus far. I do have a couple of questions concerning an oil leak, and jolts when shifting gears. First, I've noticed a fairly sizeable oil leak ( maybe the size of a baseball...) is this common, and is it something that can be fixed easily? Also, when shifting to Reverse from any gear there is a substantial jolt. Could I be low on transmission fluid or something? These might be dumb questions, but I am not very good when it comes to cars...so any advice will help me out!

Other than that, I have some questions about upgrades, and aesthetic changes that could be made to my LR. I am looking to take it off-roading, but everything on it is stock...so what kind of upgrades do I need to make? i.e. shocks, tires, roof rack, etc. etc. Like I said, the only things not stock are the brush bar, mud flaps, DVD and CD. I'm also looking to put a better stereo system in it. And fix the DVD. A) The sound doesn't work, and B) the head rests are loose as a result to the screens being installed. Both problems I will likely have fixed at a local car audio shop. Any advice on any of these subjects would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance

Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the forum...a couple of questions

welcome. the short story. anything that will protect your rover. grill guards, light guards, skid plates, nerf bars. winch, good recovery strap. new off road tires ,shock and springs. waterproof seat covers and floor mats. high power lights, new bushings for the suspension. (high quality) replace or upgrade brakes. snorkel if you want to look at water. window and door seals. The problems you are having the oil leak. check the oil pan and valve covers. they are the most common place. The clunk out of reverse is in the drive line and most likely the u-joints. they need to be check before going off road. The best place to get more info in your area is check to see if there is a rover club in your are, they can help and are a lot of fun.
alway carry extra equipment. belts, hoses, tools, first aid kit. and a good friend will make it alot more fun. rovers are ment for off-road. parts are not cheap so protect it as much as possible when going off road. gotta love a rover. duboff