Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket job Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Well guys. I feel sick.

I just got under the Rover to check and make sure everything is ok with the Crank Position sensor due to a no start issue, and lo and behold. The Driver's Side Head gasket is leaking oil back by cylinders 5 and 7.

I am not sure what to do to be honest.
****!
That sucks!
Really feelin your pain on that one man.
II think I'de go APR studs and cometic gaskets.
My issues shouldn't cause me to pull the heads again(shouldn't, but you know how that goes).
But I've been debating on apr and cometic for a few days now. Your awful post really has me leaning towards it now.
I hate hearing this almost as much as you do!
I can't ever remember hearing of such a simple engine being so much trouble. I love the D2...and hate the engine, for several reasons.
Oh for money to burn on an LS swap.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
****!
That sucks!
Really feelin your pain on that one man.
II think I'de go APR studs and cometic gaskets.
My issues shouldn't cause me to pull the heads again(shouldn't, but you know how that goes).
But I've been debating on apr and cometic for a few days now. Your awful post really has me leaning towards it now.
I hate hearing this almost as much as you do!
I can't ever remember hearing of such a simple engine being so much trouble. I love the D2...and hate the engine, for several reasons.
Oh for money to burn on an LS swap.
I used ARP Studs, not sure what went wrong. It doesn’t appear they torqued down properly. I can't believe that if the head had torqued properly to 70 ft lbs it would leak, and it is a substantial leak. It is possible the gasket was damaged at some point in handling by myself or while shipped.

Last edited by CollieRover; 08-15-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:11 PM
TReK

The good news is that there is no indication that the passenger side is leaking at all. It's bone dry around the outside. That is at least a good thing.

The only things I can think of are during install I somehow shifted the head gasket while seating it, did not get a stud or two in the whole way, or I did not get the head torqued down properly. I was really deliberate, but mistakes happen. I originally had all of the studs in, and of course, that won't allow the head to go on while in vehicle. Probably something went wrong at that point. Maybe I did not lubricate the washers enough, I used the ARP thread lubricant for the studs so it should have worked.

The annoying thing about it is that the drivers side HG wasn't leaking before I did this job. The passenger side was. I'm right back where I effing started.

That said, this is going to be a much smaller job than the first time. Cometic gaskets on their way, and giving Mahle Rocker Cover gaskets a shot as Summit Racing had them.

Last edited by CollieRover; 08-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

The good news is that there is no indication that the passenger side is leaking at all. It's bone dry around the outside. That is at least a good thing.

The only things I can think of are during install I somehow shifted the head gasket while seating it, did not get a stud or two in the whole way, or I did not get the head torqued down properly. I was really deliberate, but mistakes happen. I originally had all of the studs in, and of course, that won't allow the head to go on while in vehicle. Probably something went wrong at that point. Maybe I did not lubricate the washers enough, I used the ARP thread lubricant for the studs so it should have worked.

The annoying thing about it is that the drivers side HG wasn't leaking before I did this job. The passenger side was. I'm right back where I effing started.

That said, this is going to be a much smaller job than the first time. Cometic gaskets on their way, and giving Mahle Rocker Cover gaskets a shot as Summit Racing had them.

Good deal man
Looking forward to hearing how those gaskets are...and for it to not leak!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Good deal man
Looking forward to hearing how those gaskets are...and for it to not leak!
No kidding. The Mahle gaskets say they are molded like the Fel Pro. Hopefully, the flimsy one suck to install.

Cometic has tech support so I am going to prolly talk to them prior to install, just to be safe about install.

I talked to the derale guy about 12 times.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Collie,

I hate to hear this news. I've been lurking on this thread and it's been a good read of information especially the machine shop. Thanks! I plan on a tear down in the coming weeks to replace my head gaskets. I also decided on ARP head bolts. I picked them up from Lucky 8 and in speaking with them noted the torque values to be 20/40/80lbs and normal bolt sequence. Did you torque to 70lbs? 10lbs isnt much but perhaps just re torquing the head is worth a shot.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Windycity_rover
Collie,

I hate to hear this news. I've been lurking on this thread and it's been a good read of information especially the machine shop. Thanks! I plan on a tear down in the coming weeks to replace my head gaskets. I also decided on ARP head bolts. I picked them up from Lucky 8 and in speaking with them noted the torque values to be 20/40/80lbs and normal bolt sequence. Did you torque to 70lbs? 10lbs isnt much but perhaps just re torquing the head is worth a shot.
I don't want to just kick the can down the road, but I considered the retorque. I originally put the studs in before the head, but that does not work. I then removed most of them but left a couple, then relubricated with the ARP Thread Sealant for the studs. I am pretty sure that is where something went wrong.

The Passenger side is fine, and that one I torqued to 70. The Drivers Side to 72. Who knows. i don't think that has anything to do with it, I don't think the head seated well enough. This time it is going on for a test fit, the the gasket, then then the head. I am going to call ARP Tech support and have them give me their thoughts on the seating process.

I have taken notes etc., so if you want a list of steps I took including socket sizes, tools etc., let me know. I can email it to you. Just PM me.

I am updating it this time.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Are you sure the oil is not coming from the valve cover gasket?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mln01
Are you sure the oil is not coming from the valve cover gasket?
100%, and none too happy about it. I wiped under the head and watched it leak.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

100%, and none too happy about it. I wiped under the head and watched it leak.
Did you check your crankcase pressure? It is almost impossible to conceive of the headgasket leaking oil a the rear of the engine. There is exactly one passage in the block for transmitting oil under pressure from the block to the cylinder head rocker arms and it is on the front of the block, not the back. It can be seen in the upper right corner of this photo. THe oil of course drains back to the crankcase at the rear of the block, but that is through the intake valley. More likely you have a plugged pcv baflle, a pressurized crankcase, and the pressure is forcing oil out of the rear under the intake manifold at the junction between head, block, and intake manifold and then running down the gap between block and head.

Quick Reply: Head gasket job Questions