Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it took me 12 hrs, on my 97 disco

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Mudding

Hey, everybody...my 1st Rover...couldn't resist a bargain...guess why...U guessed it, BLOWN HEAD GASKET! My guess is the rt side bank, and if Rover oriented that way...#8...So, it would appear that this is somewhat of a common problem...Anyone ever figure out the root problem. I read some where in here the guages aren't the best...Is there a problem w/ the cooling system that needs to be addressed?
Someone recommended a FOUR FOOT breaker bar...Haven't needed one of those since I got rid of my VOLKSWAGEN!!!
Is this a "re-torquing" issue? and has anyone re-torqued?
Hate doin' things TWICE!!!
Thanks

Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Mudding

So, HELP!!!, I tried to download the manual, at 32,768 pages of GIBBERISH, MICROSOFT TOLD ME i HAD EXCEEDED THE MAX NUMBER OF PAGES supporrted BY word!!!aLSO, SELECTING THE CORRET LANGUAGE SEEMED TO PROVE BEYOND MY SKILL LEVEL...I"m BETTER W/ WRENCHES...hopefully!!! Any and all tips appreciated!
Thanks

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did you down load the rave to your computer or are you trying to print it on line.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You need Adobe Acrobat reader, it is a PDF based file, don't try to load into Microsoft Word. Adobe reader is free as well, hard for a PC to not have it....

See if you can open this one page in pdf form for the head gasket torque settings. If you can open that, you should be able to read the whole RAVE you downloaded.

While I normally rant about the gauges, it boils down to this: The gauges are very approximate. They are not linear. They are not instant. In the case of the D2, the ECM drives the gauge, telling it what to display. Rover has them deigned so the service department won't be flooded with problems. So while the gauges sit in a "normal" position, the coolant is between X and Y degrees. When it moves above "y" the gauge starts to move up. Average Joe (or Jane) thinks it is getting warm. But it was already at the high end of "Y", and now even hotter. Some people drive around for a long time like this. One fellow reported 1 gallon low on coolant, another 2 gallons low, before red warnig light came on. If you can install something like an Ultra Guage, you can watch coolant temp in digital raw form. Oil PSi needs a separate guage. Some guys run water wetter, some run heavy duty fan clutch, some run steeper pitch fans

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 head gasket.PDF (605.8 KB, 3524 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Mudding

My bad on the dnload, I was trying to down load the "Discovery" link...bad choice, the RAVE is loading now...I hope...

Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Mudding

anyone do an electric fan swap?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Mudding

I've got another question, if anyone's got a minute. What's the "pressure relief" widgit on the radiator hose all about. ie, it was blowing off...do I need to replace it, click it back together or eliminate it altogether?
Thanks

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If what you speak of is item 21 on this layout from the RAVE, that is where you vent air bubbles trapped in the cooling system when re-filled. If HG is venting exhaust gas into coolant, this will spray when opened sometimes, and it can be more than hot. Careful, wear eye protection.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 plumbing.pdf (1,017.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Mudding

yeah! Hot! No surprise there...so, then it's "re-usable" after it's blown off. I take it you manually use it to belch the system and then re-close it...?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replacement