Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choosing Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some kyb front shocks I will sell you. They are brand new. Let me know if your interested.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
I have some kyb front shocks I will sell you. They are brand new. Let me know if your interested.
Possibly, let me do some more research before I commit tho, most people seem to use OME or TerraFirma. Haven't found any threads about KYB. Links?

DiscoMike, I found one thread here about issues mounting TF shocks (https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...4-disco-49532/), and a long term review (https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-shocks-42548/). Most other posts are positive. Can you post some links? I'd like to do some reading.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Lucky8 lists TF shocks for $50. Ask for a discount for buying 4. I haven't seen Bilstein or OME for less than double that. The TF is a replacement shock for a low price. I am sure they are better than worn out or broken stock ones. If anything else is better, it should be because it probably costs 50 to 100% more.

Poly sells rebuildable 2" shocks (Bilstein 7100) for $131. If a throw-away shock gets near that price, they're not worth it.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Just installed Bilsteins. Very nice change, great on and off the road. Plus life time warranty. There wherehouse is close to my shop, never had a problem with warranty.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binvanna
Lucky8 lists TF shocks for $50. Ask for a discount for buying 4. I haven't seen Bilstein or OME for less than double that. The TF is a replacement shock for a low price. I am sure they are better than worn out or broken stock ones. If anything else is better, it should be because it probably costs 50 to 100% more.

Poly sells rebuildable 2" shocks (Bilstein 7100) for $131. If a throw-away shock gets near that price, they're not worth it.
Keep in mind TF has a stock replacement stock ($50-ish) and then the All-Terrain series ($75-ish) with an option of +2" travel version ($75-ish)

I used the AT version with the TF HD springs and they were just fine, except when loaded down with 700+ pounds of gear. At that point I upgraded to properly valved Fox's and higher spring rates.

If someone has OME springs I would get the OME dampers. Same can be said with TF. I do find the TF valving a tad softer than OME.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Keep in mind TF has a stock replacement stock ($50-ish) and then the All-Terrain series ($75-ish) with an option of +2" travel version ($75-ish)

If someone has OME springs I would get the OME dampers. Same can be said with TF. I do find the TF valving a tad softer than OME.
Thanks for pointing this out: I actually do not want any lift at all. The disco barely fits in the garage now, if the rear goes up any further it will not end well...

Are the OME shocks (60024 & 60025) stock height or do they raise 2"?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd
Thanks for pointing this out: I actually do not want any lift at all. The disco barely fits in the garage now, if the rear goes up any further it will not end well...

Are the OME shocks (60024 & 60025) stock height or do they raise 2"?
Shocks don't affect ride height. Springs do. the +2 shocks mean that they have 2 inches more travel or extension to them, so that if you were running +2 springs, you won't loose as much motion due to the shock travel maxing out.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd go with OME. They are tried and true and having that warranty is pretty nice. I like what they do to the ride and handling.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but won't OME 781s lift the rear by around 2"?

I was contemplating ditching my SLS suspension. But I like it way too much to do that. So I just got some new air springs and called it good. Always carry a spare with me, just in case.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jafir
Shocks don't affect ride height. Springs do. the +2 shocks mean that they have 2 inches more travel or extension to them, so that if you were running +2 springs, you won't loose as much motion due to the shock travel maxing out.
Thanks, I'm an idiot.

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but won't OME 781s lift the rear by around 2"?
They do. Unfortunately I'm a stupid clot, so I thought that the lift mostly depended on the shocks, not the springs. The 781 are the lowest rate I could find and I didn't expect them to raise more than 1" or so. I probably should have gotten a pair of 764s instead... f#ck it!

Looks like the Terrafirma Medium Load - TF023V @ Atlantic British, or the no-names they (AB) sell with their coil swap kit might be a better fit, or the kit from Arnott...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Overlanding

I run OME Sport shocks and love them

Quick Reply: Help choosing Shocks