Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Disco Mike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Disco Mike!!!

Well I was having that power steering problem that I posted about a few weeks back and you had recommended that I flush it and put the additive in it. Which I did. Then it was fine for the first night, but the next day it was loud again. After it warmed up it would go away but it would come back again either the next morning or after it sat for a while. After a week or so when it was pretty cold out it was not only loud but also getting pretty difficult to turn the wheel. So I got back on here and you had said to flush it once more. So I flushed it again and it is doing pretty much the same thing. It was fine the first night, and it is fine after it has been running for ten or fifteen minutes, but when it first starts up it is very loud. It has been about a week since the second flush and it is still doing it. Not even an improvement from the first morning after the flush. So I am weary about what to do next. I had paid a shop to do the flushes for me, 130 bucks a pop, so I am weary about replacing the pump for fear that the pump is fine and it would cost me an arm and a leg to replace it for no reason. But I don't know what else it could be. And I don't know what effect driving it for ten minutes would have on the power steering quieting down. Anyway, just wanted to see what you thought. My wallet is getting increasingly lighter and I am still right where I started.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Me Disco Mike!!!

I may also add that my throttle body gasket is leaking, and the temps. around here have been in the teens lately over night and in the low 30's during the day. I doubt the two promlems are related but I figured I would mention it.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle body gasket is the quickest easiest fix you can do. Order the part ASAP and get it done.

Good luck with the pump. Mine is starting to squeal a bit too.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

teens, coldAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL its noon here, 5F degreese and its like spring!. Check atlantic brtish or Rovers North for the Thorttle body gasket.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Why did you pay a shop $130 when you could have done it on your drive way for less the $30??????????????????????????????
As for the t/body heater, kit is around $25 and very easy to do.
What to do next, PM me with your number and lets talk.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your power steeering pump is going south but you can drive it like that for as long as it will let you.
My FedEx van does the same thing, once the pump warms up no more problems.
Wait until it fails completly, you can still drive with a bad failed pump, just wont have power steering.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Wait until it fails completly, you can still drive with a bad failed pump, just wont have power steering.
Unless the pump bearings sieze, which isa failure mode that can leave a guy by the side of the road waiting on AAA.

Dave