Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a tapping sound before/after rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help with a tapping sound before/after rebuild...

My dad has a 2003 Disco II with approximately 150k miles(vin not within faulty 2003 oil pump numbers). He had a knocking sound on the drivers side of the motor like a lifter was sticking and a slow coolant leak on one of his head gaskets so he asked if I could help rebuild his motor. I pulled the motor and started tearing it apart and getting a list of parts. First thing I noticed was a cracked oil pump ring... Luckily he didn't drive it too long with the knock. Obviously he wasn't getting enough oil pressure although his oil pressure gauge on the dash never turned on. I figured that was the cause of the knock but still did a thorough check of all the parts when I was disassembling. Nothing looked brunt or worn excessively. I took the block to a trusted machine shop and he checked all the tolerances of the cylinders, crank bearings and cam bearings to stock. Everything checked out and all the cylinder sleeves were seated in the top position, so it did not have a slipped sleeve. The machine shop decked the heads, lapped the valves and installed new spring and seats. I had him install the cam bearing at the shop since they needed to be pressed in. I also had him polish the crank while it was in the shop. When I got it home I installed new crank bearings, cam, pistons and rings, rods, (steel rocker arms), rocker arm tubes, lifters, ARP head studs, timing chain and gear and oil pump. All the normal gasket/seals were installed that you would replace during a head gasket job or have the motor out of the car. Pretty much I have a brand new motor. I reinstalled the motor and started it up... First of all it threw a code for a cam position sensor which it didn't have before. I read on here and realized right away that I was probably sent a GEMS gear and not a Bosch gear and didn't realize it during the install. The worst problem was the motor still had a knock in the drivers side of the motor. I heard the motor knock before but I realized I had never listened to if from a cold start. The motor will start out purring like a kitten, quiet as can be, then as it begins to reach operating temperature, it begins to knock.... I pulled the valve cover and valley pan and checked all the work I had completed and installed new lifters on that side just in case I was sent a bad set(read that on here before). Checked the timing chain gear and sure enough, I was sent the wrong gear. I installed a proper Bosch gear and put everything back together. The cam position sensor code is gone and the vehicle is not throwing any codes at all but there is still a knocking....Any idea what could be causing this? I have replaced/check everything I can think of...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Get a real oil pressure gauge on it and see what readings your getting cold idle, hot idle etc. Check to make sure you have no exhaust leaks on the manifold on that side. Check to make sure no belt driven accessories pulleys have movement.

Then if those are clear based on the fact it is fine when cold knocking when warm I would say a liner is moving.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

+1 sounds like a slipped sleeve, as there really is nothing else it could be, since all parts are new and/or in spec.
Try pinning all 8 liners, very simple with the engine out, but can be done with the engine in, just drop the oil pan and get a right angle drill.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Knock or tick they are very different sounds, do you have a tick or an actual knock.

But I agree with Army Rover start simple. Check all your exhaust joints normally an exhaust tick get quieter as the engine warms up but I have seen the odd one get worse.

Get a oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure, it could be low.

Try and Id exactly where it is coming from, it will help.

You indicated that all the liners appeared the same when the heads were off that usually eliminates the liner as an issue.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Agree with Richard, big difference between tick and knocking noise. Tick is usually associated with slipped sleeve or upper end (valve train assembly). Knocking is usually bearings. And l agree with others about getting a true oil pressure reading, cold and warm.

Do you have any pictures from engine disassembled? Was the ever engine overheated recently? And you make it sound as though the tick is relatively new.

Brian.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Third that motion - check oil pressure. Also, on cold start note the temperature and the oil pressure that the ticking starts. Any chance you forgot to tighten the rocker arm shaft tower bolts? I accidentally did that once and had low oil pressure. Also, any change you installed it back with the rocker arm shafts upside down - that will cause low oil pressure. What is the current state of the build? In or out? Apart or together?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on this?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not for nothing but, what about push rods? did you put new in? and torque on lifter rail is that right? also are rocker arms new? They could be worn and giving excess clearance? seems you would have but i didn't see it in the list.