Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default High idle on cold starts

Guys this is no life or death OMG situation it just really bothers me. I have an 03. And the way it starts cold everytime is just weird. It has always bothered me and doesn't do it when warm.

Ok the knock I'm about to refer to is not an oil related knock.

On cold starts turn the key, it seems also as if it takes a fraction of a second too long to start. And I get a small knock, JUST WHILE STARTER IS ENGAUGED. After that its almost as if its not going to catch and then idle shoots up. I'd guess somewhere around 2k. Everything just ses so wrong about it. It's not as catastrophic as it may read but I just know its not right.

Minus the knock. This exactly what it feels like. It's almost as if its not getting enough fuel so injectors open longer and then BAM. It takes off.

I'm not sure if this is even possible^

When I start my truck I'm going to try priming it a couple times before starting (haven't found place to connect gauge on these d2's yet) I was just wondering if its IAC or SAI related. Or any other ideas.

I DO think the knock is a seperate issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Key on - pump runs and stops - key off - key on - pump runs again for a moment -

Do this several times as should be up to better pressure.

Would also see what the temp of the coolant and other sensors read - which would be ambient temp of your parking area. Not -40F, etc.

Test point is off fuel rail, under driver side rear of upper intake on NAS vehicles. Designed by the same thin fingered Klingon who designed the coil mounting area.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on it, when was it last tuned along with new wires and what octane are you burning?
Have you cleaned the t/body and how does it idle when warm?