Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood black out by Vigg Designs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Hood black out by Vigg Designs

So this is a decal? What happens if you want to take it off?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to try the blackout thing before I bothered with the hassle of a giant sticker or perminent paint. A budy has a Vigg blackout and it had as much glare as his bare green hood.

I went a different route. I used black laytex spray on bra. You can get it at www.griot'sgarage.com. Look for "Spray on Bra." It comes in black, sprays on pretty easy, and comes off in a big sheet if you change your mind or only want it for the summer months. With the masking tape it costs about $60 (two cans required) and goes on in about 20 minutes with absolute ease.

It looks a bit like Ryno-coat but there isn't a teeniest hint of glare. None. With two coats it looks great.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: newBrover

I went a different route. I used black laytex spray on bra. You can get it at www.griot'sgarage.com. Look for "Spray on Bra." It comes in black, sprays on pretty easy, and comes off in a big sheet if you change your mind or only want it for the summer months. With the masking tape it costs about $60 (two cans required) and goes on in about 20 minutes with absolute ease.

It looks a bit like Ryno-coat but there isn't a teeniest hint of glare. None. With two coats it looks great.

that link doesn't work.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm satisfied with the decal approach. If it ever needs to be replaced with another one have a professional shop strip off the decal to replace with an exact duplicate. I'm guessing that you'd have to in case the paint faded. Either way it's removable. The decal that I have does not present the glare that you are talking about at least in my opinion. The latex idea sounds like a viable option. The idea of painting evenly kind of makes me nervous but that's just me. If it works for you- that's the bottom line.

Regards,
Zonk

Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Mudding

Take out the apostrophe, no internet addresses use them.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling

-newBrover,
if you've still got it on, take a couple photo's and post it on here. I also assume it dries in a flat finish?

-ugly

Old 09-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: bigugly82

-newBrover,
if you've still got it on, take a couple photo's and post it on here. I also assume it dries in a flat finish?

-ugly

Yes, it dries to a very matte, flat finish. It actually sprays on really well. It comes out of the can a little chunky and foamy but once it settles on your hood for a few seconds it almost evens itself out. Two coats is key. Spraying from a distance of about 24" helped. I'm no Picasso with a paint can and I did it in about 20 minutes.