Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the 4wheeland drive Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the 4wheeland drive Work

I am new to the discovery 2 never had a rover but always wanted one. I have a 03 disco 2 hiw does the 4 wheel drive work. Is it always locked. And my abs light is on.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is a full time 4x4, power is sent to both the front and rear axles at the same time via a center differential.
The transfer case shifter must be in either hi or lo or the truck will not move under its own power.
Shift the transfer case shifter into neutral and even with the transmission in park the truck will roll away.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your truck is always in 4wheel high unless you shift it into 4 wheel low. you abs could be anyone of a couple dozen things, is just the abs light on?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As for the ABS light being on, until you fix the ABS issue, your traction control, Hill Decent and ABS will not work.
How many miles on the truck?
You might want to look at my major service list posted at the top of this section and do it all, especially the front drive shaft rebuild or replacement before it fails and takes the tranny with it.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Overlanding

Sorry not abs light but brake light. So it has a differental in between if my back tires spin will all my power go to the back tire

Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Overlanding

And millage is about 125,000. So for we love it. It has a oil leak and water leak. And i am getting a code that the cats are bad.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default You never got your question answered!

You never got your question " hiw does the 4 wheel drive work ," all too common on too many forums, so let me give it a try. If anyone finds that I am wrong on any point, I am sure they will let me know: Land Rover uses a traditional 4 wheel drive system, a center differential having both low and high ranges, with Discovery series I, and some series II having a locking center differential, along with an automatic transmission (a manual transmission was made for some markets). Further, you have traditional front and rear differentials, giving three differentials in all. The center differential gives power to the front/rear differentials, while allowing for differing wheel turning rates, front to rear, preventing center differential "wind up" which can damage front drive train if done to extreme (which can happen if you center differential is shifted to lock up mode, and you are driving on pavement or surfaces not allowing much tire slipping as "wind up" takes place). Now, since you don't have locking front/rear differentials, if you get in situation where one tire in front slips; turns freely, and/or same thing happens in rear, Rover's Electronic traction control takes over, pulsing the brake pads on that spinning wheel(s), throwing power to the other wheel on that axle, giving forward motion again. If center differential is not shifted to locked position, only one wheel, front or rear, could spin free, making you stuck, if it wasn't for the Electronic Traction Control feature. On the other hand, if the center differential IS shifted to locked position, if one wheel, front or rear spins free, the other axle with no spinning wheel, would pull you through. Theoretically, with center differential lock, and electronic traction control, the only way you could get stuck is if you got high centered, so all wheels were not on solid ground to give traction. Do I have all this correct?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Overlanding

What happens if traction control fails? Does it just spin one tire or still ine in the front and one in the back?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Please elevate your level of concern about the water leak. The trucks are very prone to overheat if not maintained. The heat gauge on the dash points at 50% from about 130-240F. You won't realize you are overheating until the motor is toasted. Use a scanner or Ultra Gauge ($70 code reader/scanner/data display with alarm points) to know what is happening. The RAVE is the factory shop and owner manual set, download link below.

The brake light comes on for activation of the hand brake (used for parking, not much in an emergency stop situation); and also if brake fluid is low. Check the container under the hood. If you suspect brake fluid switch you can unplu to see if light clears.

Attached Thumbnails How does the 4wheeland drive Work-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-17-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by x1scooterxx
What happens if traction control fails? Does it just spin one tire or still ine in the front and one in the back?
If traction control fails you will spin the one tire with the least amount of traction, it is usually the driver front side seeing the most action. But heed buzz or which tire is spinning will not be the greatest concern.

Quick Reply: How does the 4wheeland drive Work