Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to re-do brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
As to the other comments, some people just get on here to chat and make random posts. Just something you have to wade through at times..
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
roverparts.com has some pretty good kits too, depending on what your budget is. Doing it yourself saves $$, so you can spend more on parts. I really like my EBC's, they have alot more stopping power.

As to the other comments, some people just get on here to chat and make random posts. Just something you have to wade through at times..
What are EBC's (sorry)? I was gonna ask about Genuine LR vs aftermarket. What does everyone suggest?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pipjack
Actually I was amused. I guess it's hard to tell. Just trying to play along.
Maybe if I add one of these smileys !!!
But seriously, I am so glad to have y'all to help out.
Maggie
Those of use who have been on here a long time get bored and goof off.
But we are always glad to help.

EBC is a brand of brake pad and rotor. They are expensive and there have been mixed results with them on DII's.
Some LOVE them others have lots of noise from them.
In my opinion you cannot go wrong with OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts, they may not always be the best but they may be the best for you.
If you are happy with the braking performance your truck currently has then by all means use genuine LR brake pads and rotors if you need them.
www.atlanticbritish.com is who I like to buy my parts from.
Others like Will Tillery (Rover Guy)
Others like www.britishpacific.com
You can also go to NAPA or AutoZone or where ever and buy a good set of brake pads.
Wagner and Raybestous are great brands.
Lockheed is the OEM brand for Land Rover.
So you may want to cruise e-bay also.
The choice is totally up to you.

I have found that asking about brakes, motor oil and gear lube is like asking a guy what type of woman he likes.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM
TReK

EBC is a brand of break pads and rotors. The grip good but wear fast:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542DBA.cfm

Rover pads are good but are just regular metallic pads and are a bit dusty. Lockheed are good also as are ferodo. Some people like akebono ceramics but they scare the **** out of me when the are cold. Will tillery should have a good deal on OEM type brakes.

Last edited by lipadj46; 05-25-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't suggest any pads from autozone. They are really dusty. Dust will give you problems. They used to have ceramics, but stopped carrying them...

As stated, EBC is a brand. My set has lasted longer than the genuine pads I put on, but things wear differently on a D1 vs a D2. I have not used the Ferodo kits from roverparts.com, but hear really good things about them.

Whatever you use, spray a good amount of squeal stop to the back side of the pads before installing. These things love to swueak, and a squeak will give you a christmas tree on the dash of a D2.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know if it matters between a D1 and DII, but I've had good experience with Wagners. No noise, little dust and stop well. They last a long time but with a 5-speed I'd expect better life from them than in an automatic due to more engine braking.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
A discovery has a pretty open wheel, one look at the pads and rotors and you should be able to tell. How thick are the front and rear pads? Do the rotors have a ridge on the rim from the pads wearing them down? Are there ridges or bumps worn into the rotors from the pads? If so they need to be replaced. Rovers North is overpriced. Call Will Tillery (Roverguy.com) and see what he has in these days. Last time I got all 4 rotors and pads for $275 shipped.

Called Will Tillery he gave me price quotes for oem rotors and pads then he told me about a package deal for $280 shipped. I think he said the pads were ceramic. Does this sound like what you got? He said customers and mecanics had no complaints. Are you happy with the product? I think I am going to order them. After reading the rave, looks like a pretty straightforward job. Anything else I need to complete (besides the obvious tools)?
Thanks,
Maggie

Can anyone steer me in the right direction about induction cleaning? Is there a thread that someone knows of off hand?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
TReK

I'm sure whatever Will is selling is decent. Make sure you use antiseize and put anti squeal goop on the back of the pads. Rovers have weird combinations of 6 point and 12 point metric bolts.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck with the ferodo pads from AB - minimal wear after 25k miles; minimal dusting.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Now would be a good time to flush the brake fluid.
Land Rover recommends doing a complete brake fluid flush every 2 years.