Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

http://www.turner-engineering.co.uk/

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

TRIARII
read the details turner does not have sai heads which I assume your truck has, so you have to buy a short block, have your heads done, then bolt it together with ARP studs.
or buy a cannibal

Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by phatduc
Getting the complete engine crated is my preference too. I called Cannibal because their site says “don’t email us if you are in the US, just call” still have gotten a call back, and the forum posts seem to indicate atleast a few months backlog. The Turner option has great forum reviews, they replied with a precise quote immediately (mail address on their website) for exactly what I wanted (short block+hot cam+lifters/shims+frt cover+water pump+ gaskets), have everything in stock and at low prices after exchange rates and shipping quotes to TX at 250 GBP or about $400 DHL. The only detractors being 1) the heads because my NA 04 D2 needs Secondary Air Injection heads which they don’t have in UK, so will source here, and 2) an oil pan also not a prob. Read D&D is a great complete engine option too, but didn't get a call back, and there are a few others too w/ a grt rep but went w/ Turner. Enjoy!
Glad you had good luck getting ahold of Turner because I to filled out a email inquiery a couple days ago and still have not heard anything from them, very frustrating because Im assuming that Im going to need to pay for a partial engine rebuild on my 04 but if the cost of a Turner engine was within my budget then I would probably try and buy the Turner and scrap the rebuild.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
TRIARII
read the details turner does not have sai heads which I assume your truck has, so you have to buy a short block, have your heads done, then bolt it together with ARP studs.
or buy a cannibal

Dam that sucks. Im pretty sure I have secondary air but dont quote me on it. Well it wont be much to get my heads machined so Ill just do that then. Regardless of if I rebuild my engine or buy a Turner I still have to get them machined anyways. Hopefully Turner responds to my inquiry soon.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Dam that sucks. Im pretty sure I have secondary air but dont quote me on it. Well it wont be much to get my heads machined so Ill just do that then. Regardless of if I rebuild my engine or buy a Turner I still have to get them machined anyways. Hopefully Turner responds to my inquiry soon.
I never filled out the web form, just emailed directly to : sales@turner-engineering.co.uk . Frida Turner (family biz?) replied within a few hours of each email. Said the motor should arrive DHL 3-5 days, not sure about that, let's see.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Not to blow their trumpet for them but Turner Eng have an enviable reputation in the UK for being excellent engine builders and good customer service and above all else they are honest which is often a rarity these days. Ashcroft also fall into the same category and are extremely well placed on transmissions and again with the right attitude.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Now thats the $ is strong again it does make the UK viable again using DHL

Old 05-16-2015, 10:54 PM
TReK

Alright so after completing a second email inquiery/quote via the form on their page this is the response I received?

"
Dear Julian

I did reply to your e mail enquiry the other day but it appears not to have got through for whatever reason.

We thank you for your enquiry for our remanufactured Land Rover engines and have pleasure in submitting our offer for the following short engine assembly. Generally in the US V8 engines have secondary air injection cylinder heads, this cylinder head type is in short supply and therefore the short engine only is available and suggest having the cylinder heads overhauled by your local machine shop if required.

To Supply:
1 4.6l. V8 Petrol Short Engine assembly – remanufactured
New pistons, bearings, camshaft/timing equipment
remanufactured crankshaft/conrods
block casting with ductile iron flanged liners £ 2545.00
1 to fit H180 Sports Torque Kent Camshaft add £ 150.00
Turner Engineering 4.6V8 Short Engine Assembly Remanufactured (Ductile liners)

You may also require the following: allow 10% discount on the below parts
gasket/seal kit £ 85.24
head bolt set £ 25.00
hydraulic lifter set £ 76.00
shim kit to set lifter pre load £ 20.00
front cover/oil pump assembly £ 205.00
water pump £ 65.00

1 DHL Economy air freight door to door customs cleared £ 295.00
(local tax/duty may apply)
1 insurance £ 25.00

The above prices are zero rated for export, core charge included., pound sterling. All items are available from stock.

Engine manufactured in accordance with BS AU 257 2002 – all export sales subject to English law
The above quote is valid for a period of 30 days. When ordering please quote current engine number and vin number for identification.
Our engines carry a 12 months unlimited mileage warranty. Ductile iron flanged linered block casting guaranteed for a further two years.

Terms of payment – with order – we accept most major credit cards, alternatively bank transfer. Alternatively you can order direct from our online store here 4.6V8 range rover engine parts, pistons, bearing set please note the freight cost on the online store is calculated for the DHL express service.

If you have any queries or want further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best Regards
Frida Turner
Turner Engineering"

So for a remanufactured 4.6 liter V8 US spec "stripped" engine assembly with secondary air injection, complete with the H180 'Sports Torque' Kent camshaft, Darton Sleeves ductile iron flanged liner upgrade, water pump, front oil cover etc shipped to my location in southern New Hampshire, the grand total in Great Britain Pounds is 3491.24. Using XE currency converter I calculated that the grand total in US dollars would be $5,489.80 shipped.

If everything works out very well up here in AK this season then I probably will scrap the engine rebuild option and take the Turner route. This would solve most potential problems with my truck and most off all no more engine ticking. All I would have to worry about after that is the frame and adding more mods.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

TRIARII, I know this thread is old but did you ever get a turner engine? I’m curious how you liked it if you did. I’m thinking about getting one. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I bought a Turner Short Block years ago and am very happy with it. I also found their customer service to be top notch.

If I had to do it over, I would have ordered a long block with the gas flowed heads. The shop that put my HG's in buggered the job, and I had to redo them myself. Or just get a short block and put the heads on yourself. RPi sells heads with bigger valves even. That would be fun.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalliste80
TRIARII, I know this thread is old but did you ever get a turner engine? I’m curious how you liked it if you did. I’m thinking about getting one. Thanks!
I have one in my 03

35K miles and been great

Quick Reply: http://www.turner-engineering.co.uk/