Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a code reader need help with codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the speed sensor do?

I'm not overly excited to pay $100+ to replace the speed sensor just to make the three amigo lights go off. Does the speed sensor do something that effects the way the rover drives? Can I just disconnect it? Is there a way to just replace or by-pass the sensor part? I've owned the rover for a few months now and the lights have always been on. The rover is my 2nd-3rd vehicle and meant only for the hills and adventure trips.
Thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Modulator

Dean,

I don't know the answer on the speed sensor, but I'd do the shuttle valve fix and replace the seals at a minimum (I did, and it cured my issue). If you can spring for the speed sensor, chances are you won't be troubled by the Amigos again, which is good piece of mind.

Per our email exchange earlier today, keep the code reader until you have addressed the issue to your satisfaction. And, if you return it and need it again, I'll gladly loan it without a deposit, as you've proven to be a stand up guy.

Good luck!

DRW

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Each wheel has an ABS speed sensor, which detects the speed of that wheel. All are averaged together to compute vehicle speed. Individual wheel speed is looked at during braking and determines when brakes will be "pulsed" to avoid skids. So this is a safety issue, you could not have a very functioning ABS system with one wheel missing.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the speed sensor

I took the rear tire off tonight and tried to figure out how to remove the speed sensor but it looks a little tricker than I thought it would be. On some other vehicles there is one bolt holding the speed sensor in place, you remove one bolt and the sensor comes out but the rover doesn't have one of these bolts. I removed the brakes then removed 4 bolts (I think they were 16mm) but I couldn't get at the speed sensor. There were 2 more bolts but they have a star style head and don't look like they are meant to be removed. I looked in the Rave manual but didn't find anything showing how to remove them. I thought about just giving it a big pull but that didn't sound like the way to go. This sounds like an issue others have had but I couldn't find anything on this site either. So what am I missing?
Thanks