Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope this is not a blown engine or headgasket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by hemicharger69
I removed the top coolant hose where it goes into the top of the radiator and ran a garden hose directly into the radiator. The other end that ran from the engine and thermostat over the top of the fan shroud was open. I ran the engine and temperature stayed at 208. Coolant was not gushing out of the open top hose however. Is that normal?

I did bleed the system as suggested by raising the expansion tank about 1 ft and topped off until all gurgling stopped. I did not have a hose relief bushing that Extinct suggested.
The problem with that test is that your thermostat was only seeing cold water from the garden hose and was not opening. redo it with the bushing ($5 at autoparts store) That is why water was not gushing out. If you remove the thermostat completely water will pour out. I doubt it gets over 130 like the way I said.

Last edited by Extinct; 10-13-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Since you are capable and diligent, I will add this. All the stock thermstat systems are complete crap - any temp, any brand. Very sensitive to air in the system. Do the bypass mod and you will have no more problems. Added benefit is you can change or remove the stat without losing a drop of coolant. Also, when flushing or topping system, rev engine to 2000 rpm, at idle the pump does not put out enough pressure to overcome heater core pressure drop and it will not go through heater core. Rev the engine and it will push through the heater core.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I removed the top coolant hose where it goes into the top of the radiator and ran a garden hose directly into the radiator. The other end that ran from the engine and thermostat over the top of the fan shroud was open. I ran the engine and temperature stayed at 208. Coolant was not gushing out of the open top hose however. Is that normal?

I did bleed the system as suggested by raising the expansion tank about 1 ft and topped off until all gurgling stopped. I did not have a hose relief bushing that Extinct suggested.
This is how I tested to see if my radiator was clogged:
If you have the plastic Tee bleeder, I would suggest to remove the screw and get a get this part to fill the coolant directly into the Tee until you see the coolant

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Thanks for the video, I have some doubts about my rad and that looks pretty easy to duplicate .

Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was a bad thermostat

Turns out, it was bad thermostat. I bought the black Britpart replacement. Problem fixed (for now)

Old 10-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I did a very bone headed thing...It was dark and Prestone Antifreeze and Power Steering Fluid both come in a yellow gallon container.

I topped off the bleeder screw hose with power steering fluid about 1 cup. I also filled the coolant expansion tank with power steering fluid.

I then realized I made a mistake then syphoned it out all of the expansion tank and refilled with water.

The engine was running. I turned the engine off.

I then disconnected the lower radiator hose. And flushed the cooling system with a garden hose in the expansion tank. The lower radiator hose was disconnected. And coolant + steering fluid drained out of the system.

Since then, the temperature has been steady at 199-201

It normally runs at 189-194. I think there might still be residual steering fluid in the cooling system.

I will flush the system again. This time while the engine is hot, heater running, while the thermostat open. I'm afraid if I put a hose in the expansion tank, the cold water will cause the thermostat to close. Then the residual steering fluid wont completely drain out.

Any suggestions, besides putting on my glasses next time?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I did a very bone headed thing...It was dark and Prestone Antifreeze and Power Steering Fluid both come in a yellow gallon container.

I topped off the bleeder screw hose with power steering fluid about 1 cup. I also filled the coolant expansion tank with power steering fluid.

I then realized I made a mistake then syphoned it out all of the expansion tank and refilled with water.

The engine was running. I turned the engine off.

I then disconnected the lower radiator hose. And flushed the cooling system with a garden hose in the expansion tank. The lower radiator hose was disconnected. And coolant + steering fluid drained out of the system.

Since then, the temperature has been steady at 199-201

It normally runs at 189-194. I think there might still be residual steering fluid in the cooling system.

I will flush the system again. This time while the engine is hot, heater running, while the thermostat open. I'm afraid if I put a hose in the expansion tank, the cold water will cause the thermostat to close. Then the residual steering fluid wont completely drain out.

Any suggestions, besides putting on my glasses next time?

grab zerex flush and a ton of distilleed water. Blow it out with a wet dry vac, drain with the block plugs.

time consuming but you will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
hemicharger69 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Three Wheeling

What are block plugs? Are those engine block freeze plugs? How do I get those out and back in? Where are they located?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

What are block plugs? Are those engine block freeze plugs? How do I get those out and back in? Where are they located?
They are by the knock sensors if memory serves. I leave mine in, but with PS fluid in there I would remove them. Look at the RAVE.