Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition lock housing and tumbler - Disco 2 and Disco 1 compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Ignition lock housing and tumbler - Disco 2 and Disco 1 compatibility

Just making a thread to it is easy for other folks looking for this info to find.

You can use a Disco 1 ignition lock to replace the disco 2 unit. The part sold by Atlantic British is the Disco 1 lock. It does not have the attachments for the sensor for the key chime, or the solenoid that works as part of the key lock out, but you wont miss them

The part number for the replacement unit is STC1435 and you can get it from the usual online suppliers for $45-$100

It is about a 30min job(or less) if you don't bother with rekeying the now ignition to your existing keys. Plan for 2-3 if you are going to fiddle with rekeying it.

You take off the column covers, then use a chisel to knock the lock bolts loose a couple times, then you can use your fingers to get it the rest of the way out.

You will need to swap the electrical portion from your original unit to the new one. I had to drill out the "ears" on the plastic switch portion for the screws on the new lock housing to pass through. Your mileage may vary.

You can also swap the bulb portion and wiring of your original unit to the new one to keep the illumination

As for rekeying it to work with your existing key, that can be done. Some threads here say they did it themselves by inserting the key in the tumbler, then grinding down the high spots on the lock discs. I would not recommend that route. I did it, then spent an hour buffing all the lock discs and getting rid of ridges and burrs. Take it to a lock smith and let them do it the right way for $50. You will either need to drill out and replace the lock pin on the barrel to remove the tumbler, or you can have the locksmith do it. I'm sure they can handle it.

Overall difficulty is about 6.5/10 if you're doing the Rekey, 3/10 if you are not.

Here is ABs video of install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZxB...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Llamasayswhat; 11-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.