Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Wiper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermittent Wiper Issue

My wipers have been experiencing some issues for about a month now. They judder across the windshield when I have them set to wipe intermittently and they do not perk correctly. When I use the "flick wipe" feature they will park wherever they are when I let off the switch. They only work properly when I have them on a constant wipe mode. The wiper washer works as well. The problem first showed up after I left the hood up in light rain for about an hour. I checked all fuses under the hood and under the steering wheel but all seemed fine. I have a feeling that it could be the wiper relay module under the hood but I would like to diagnose the problem before I start ordering a bunch of parts. (I have also heard that it could be the turn stalk switch.) My friends G4 has the same issue where the wipers don't work intermittently.

I talked to an Atlantic British rep over the phone and he says this is the correct relay:
Relay - Multiple Applications (Yellow) (YWB10027L Same Fit As Part # YWB10027L ) - Land Rover connector\relays\flasher from Atlantic British

Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Every time I had this happen I would pray it was the relay. For me 9 out of 10 times it was the switch. Of course try a new relay first (that's cheap). If you have to replace the switch, you can try removing it and cleaning the internal contacts first. Do a search, its been written about a few times(here's one) > https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tch-fix-46886/

I think this switch must be made out of gold > Switch Windshield Wiper (Genuine Part # XPE500010PUY ) - Land Rover switches/control unit/actuators from Atlantic British

Last edited by OverRover; 03-30-2017 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OverRover
Every time I had this happen I would pray it was the relay. 9 out of 10 times it was the switch. Of course try a new relay first (that's cheap). If you have to replace the switch, you can try removing it and cleaning the internal contacts first. Do a search, its been written about a few times.
I think this switch must be made out of gold > Switch Windshield Wiper (Genuine Part # XPE500010PUY ) - Land Rover switches/control unit/actuators from Atlantic British
WOW thats an expensive switch. Im really hoping it's the relay. I just ordered one. The problem started after I left the hood open in the rain, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be the switch (I hope).

Old 03-30-2017, 04:43 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I always thought it was the park switch which is part of the wiper motor on the disco 2. I have the same problem and a new switch I scored for free, hope to get on it tomorrow will post it the switch fixes mine

Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, update here, again I am having the same problem word for word. I just put in a new switch and it made no difference, next will be the wiper motor under the cowl panel below the windscreen, will keep you posted, however it might be a couple weeks before I can get the part.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by emncfi
I always thought it was the park switch which is part of the wiper motor on the disco 2. I have the same problem and a new switch I scored for free, hope to get on it tomorrow will post it the switch fixes mine
Sounds good. I am going to take mine all apart tonight and see if I can clean the contacts of the wiper park switch. Ill let everyone know how it goes. Last night I took apart my steering wheel switch and cleaned the contacts but it didn't fix the problem so it must be the motor park switch.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Aight folks. Problem is solved. The only thing is that I don't know how I fixed it.. Just now I went through the labor of removing the wiper motor only to discover that I couldn't take it apart and "fix" the park switch (which is integrated into the motor and sealed up with rivets). When I put the motor back in and bolted all of the parts on, it was working. It blew my mind. The only possible explanation I have is that some of the bolts were only finger tight and caused the motor to shift around on it's mount. If you attempt to do what I did, just make sure that you have the wiper motor assembly in the right setting when you put everything back together. In the pic below you will see what i'm talking about:

Windshield wiper

So when you put the motor back in place and bolt on the assembly, it is important that you aim the motor "pitman arm" towards the driver side of the vehicle. Turn on your wipers to make sure everything is back in order before you put the remaining parts back on.

I must have been blessed by the rover gods with this one. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 AM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HBW1020
I must have been blessed by the rover gods with this one.
Shh! You'll jinx it!

Loose bolts holding the wiper motor would be my guess, too. When I bought my truck, the bolts holding mine in were nearly unbolted. So, this would cause the wiper arms to wipe part way, stop somewhere on the windshield due to the motors assembly shifting and binding, then complete the wipe and *maybe* return to the proper position after 15-120 seconds. It had been like this for a while, I suspect, as the bolt holes to the wiper motor were knackered and beyond repair. A new junkyard motor, plus actually tightening the bolts decently has given me no problems for the last two years.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I’m topping an older thread but I’d like to narrow down options with regards to the wiper relay. I’ve read conflicting info about whether this is replaceable or not.

On one hand I’ve read that it’s integrated into the dashboard fuse box and non-replaceable without swapping out the entire fuse box (ugh!) and on the other, including this thread,’I’m seeing links to relay parts and talk of replacing it.

So: does anyone know for sure? Is it replaceable? If so, where is it located? The fuse box diagrams don’t seem to call out a wiper *relay*, just the fuse (F19 under dash)

TIA!