Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumping off the Rotella band wagon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I've seen people say here for years that Fram filters are not a good choice, but does that apply to all the Frams? They make at least three different versions - the basic filter, an ultra guard filter and a high mileage filter I think. Does anyone here have any information about the ultra guard or the high mileage Fram filters?
Not true for the ultra guard from what I've heard, but I know the frams I've seen cut open all have cardboard end caps inside instead of metal. I stay away from the brand as a whole because of this.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:23 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Not true for the ultra guard from what I've heard, but I know the frams I've seen cut open all have cardboard end caps inside instead of metal. I stay away from the brand as a whole because of this.

More useless INFO than you will ever need....gets way weird at 2:35

Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Maybe their 10.00 ones are okay, but for that price I'll do K&N, Mobil1, or WIX.

When I was young with my first car I bought what my dad always did aka FRAM. Then one day my faithful Mitsubishi Montero had an oil light come on. I immediately turned it off and had it towed to a shop (being young I didn't wanna kill it). Owner of the shop asked if I had just changed the oil. He removed the FRAM to find the internal flap/anti drain back valve INOP/missing. He simply slapped on a Napa Gold filter and I was good to go.

After that I never used one again.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

[QUOTE][/QI can't remember ever having any issues with them?? Not sure what the beef is?UOTE]
May have come from a blogger or YouTube.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I have only used FRAM-XG, (gold color) on all my cars,, there is no comparison between that & other FRAM filters, it has 3 layers a metal mesh to prevent filter media from collapsing & 2different layers of synthetic fiber for filterstion, I am not saying it just by looking at picture on the box, I actually have cut one open to compare to picture they have put on the box, for $9 at Walmart nothing can beat it, Mobil1 & K&N that are sold in walmart don't have the metal mesh, & filter material on them is not synthetic (it says it on their box), only WIX-xp is also synthetic fiber, ( I don't know about NAPA gold), it could be synthetic, (I do buy WIX-synthetic if I find them on sale),

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

How much is the Wix 51515XP where you're at? They're $9 here in SW VA. Next time I'm in the parts store I could snap a picture and anyone that wants could have it price matched.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
How much is the Wix 51515XP where you're at? They're $9 here in SW VA. Next time I'm in the parts store I could snap a picture and anyone that wants could have it price matched.
$9 sounds about right, the NAPA version of the WIX 51515XP is the NAPA PLATINUM #PFL 41515 for $8.99

Worth it to add a few filters if you are putting a bigger order together at Rockauto, the WIX 51515XP is $6.44

Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,665 Posts

WIX filters are 10.00 & 15.00 for the XP here unless they're on sale. Thats why I just grab a K&N or Mobil1. I've torn a Mobil1 apart and it definitely was not just plain paper media inside of it. There is only one Napa near me (30 miles away) & unless I am in the area a trip just for an oil filter just isn't worth it.

The Motorcraft FL1A used to be a really good oil filter for a great price, but the last time I was going to buy one they changed the drainback valve & it looks like they went cheap so I stopped buying them.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Another oil thread, oh how to resist posting...

I can't!

KingKoopa - What interval are you thinking of going with the Mobil 1 before you change it out? Synthetic vs the usual 3k for Rotella dino.

I've run 4k to 4.5k on synthetic Rotella (T6 & T5) and for the past 3 oil changes I've been running 3k on Rotella dino.

My disco ticks horribly on the dino and looking back at my records it ticks any time I'm using a 15w-40 oil. The only time it doesn't tick is in the cooler months when I switched over to a 5w-40 oil (either Rotella T6 or Royal Purple 5w-40.

I had read the blog you linked to last fall and there was a lot of discussion about it on the forum. I was close to pulling the trigger on trying the Mobil 1 0w-40 but just didn't do it. I even went to dino Rotella for the first time this spring and the ticking came right back.

I was pondering what to do about my ticking when your thread popped up. Went right out and put in the Mobil 1 0w-40 FS formula in my disco and no more ticking. It feels like it's running smoother too but I know that's just so damned subjective.

Anyway, not knocking on Rotella but I'm gonna give the Mobil 1 0w-40 a try too for a few oil changes and see how it works out.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm probably going to continue to do 3,000 mile changes or so AFTER I fix my oil leak. I'm losing enough oil that I've prob already done an entire fluid change by the time 3,000 miles roll around.

​​​

Quick Reply: Jumping off the Rotella band wagon!