Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumping off the Rotella band wagon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Most folks on here are running oil tests on used blocks, at various stages of engine wear. Some folks say Rotella makes their engine quieter, others say Rotella makes the engine louder. The only way to get honest unbiased results is for owners with new or profesionally remanufactured engines to commit to one oil, change the oil and filter every 3,000k and use premium fuel. Then report results at 100,000k and again at 200,000k.

I have a new professionally remanufactured block from Turner. Used Mobile 1 for breakin then switched to Rotella. I change the oil every 3k and use soley Shell V-power fuel. In 100,000k I will have the heads pulled and the block tested and examined. I will then post my results. I trust my results will be more relevent and accurate vs trying to determine what oils work best in a used block with over 100k. For those of you with the original block, just use whatever you like but change the oil every 3k.

For owners with new or remanufactured blocks. Consider participating in this test. Tey using mobil 1 engine oil or royal purple for 100k then post your results so we can compare.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 AM
TReK

PS: If your running the original engine, switching oil probably will not gain any significant improvements. Any damage or wear already done to your engine will remain in effect regardless of what oil you use or switch to. Bandaid at best. Even if you pamper your Rover you cant really say what the previous owner did....

Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

I've ran Rotella in vehicles with as low as 3k to 5k on them and the results have been excellent. I also ran a few with nothing but Mobil1 Full Synthetic and I had no complaints.

The real key is doing regular oil changes. Like I said earlier our engines are pretty darn basic vs a DOHC V8 and they don't need magic tossed inside them. They just need an oil with a good zinc amount. Then choose the weight you need to run for your climate.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:07 PM
TReK

Agreed. I live in New England and average temps right now are mid 70's. Im running 15W-40 Rotella.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Guys. Not sure why this isn't clicking.

Noone is suggesting that changing oil is going to turn back the clock on engine wear, but all you have to do is look at the viscosity of your chosen oil at ambient Temps to tell that it is wayyyyy to thick, period... even at 150 degrees Fahrenheit, an 10w40 oil is 3 times thicker than it needs to be to adequately protect your engine from wear...

Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

And engine complexity has nothing to do with wear. Double overhead cam, OHV, rotary, etc, they all need oil between their moving parts, they all have to have clearances large enough to allow these parts to move, these clearances do not vary as much as you would think.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
And engine complexity has nothing to do with wear. Double overhead cam, OHV, rotary, etc, they all need oil between their moving parts, they all have to have clearances large enough to allow these parts to move, these clearances do not vary as much as you would think.
King Koopa, just give it up. The oil debate has been around since I became a member here, was probably around before that and will continue to be around long after. Go on a Porsche forums and ask what oil to use, see the variety of information you get in return. You are fighting a losing battle. That blog you posted, I have seen it before on this forum, and people still use what they want to use. Trust me man, just let it go.

Might as well ask what oil filter do people use, you'll probably get the same amount of options as listings in Autozone. People still swear by Champion double-platinum spark plugs too. Let people run what they want to run.

Use what you want and keep it

Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

What TP works best?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It's funny as I just read a blog on the Arsewipe website.

The guy is pretty informed, he is a former proctologist. He says 2 squares of quilted northern with a follow up wipe of cottenelle moist wipes is the best...

Old 06-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

What if ya don't have a square to spare??

Quick Reply: Jumping off the Rotella band wagon!