Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my new rear ladder from AB.. WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the HF rivnut tool, and 1/4-20 machine screws.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Winching

I used Gorilla glue to secure mine.

Last edited by buick215; 01-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Guy
I'd like to see one of you sheet metal screw guys get your ladder caught on an obstacle and watch it tear right out.
You mean like the rivnut that was ripped out of the sheet metal, leaving a 3/4" gaping hole, when one of my rear light guards got caught on something?

I've been buying stuff from AB since the 70's and been in their shop a number of times. Just because they say something doesn't mean that absolves me from thinking for myself.

Anyway, I'm not saying one shouldn't use rivnuts, I'm just saying that sheet metal screws are perfectly acceptable substitute for installing a rear ladder.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 AM
4wd Low

wow, that does sound like a pita....did they advertise this?

Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes applications crucial and ab says to use rivnuts. Not like I'm saying to go out and buy grade 8 and thru bolt it. And in my opinion I would rather pre drill and use a machine screw before a sheet metal screw.

I'd like to see one of you sheet metal screw guys get your ladder caught on an obstacle and watch it tear right out.

And I wasn't saying to buy a fancy tool but rather to make one as it is very possible.
Caught on an obstacle? Right....

At least we will
Be able to fix ours with a slightly larger screw next time..

And I have used my ladder to
Stand on to rock and shake my vehicle when stuck. No issues

Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Caught on an obstacle? Right....

At least we will
Be able to fix ours with a slightly larger screw next time..

And I have used my ladder to
Stand on to rock and shake my vehicle when stuck. No issues
I hear you guys but I guess if it got to the point that a faster ripped out I would tac weld it. Keep in mind my 4x4 experience has been in the jeep world which I would say is a little more hard core wheeling. (Hope that comment doesn't open a can of worms)

Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Mudding

I hear you guys but I guess if it got to the point that a faster ripped out I would tac weld it. Keep in mind my 4x4 experience has been in the jeep world which I would say is a little more hard core wheeling. (Hope that comment doesn't open a can of worms)

MORE hard core wheeling??

Why, I drove mine to Wal-Mart just last night.....

Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Vehicle make has literally nothing to do with the level of wheeling its owners participate in.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Vehicle make has literally nothing to do with the level of wheeling its owners participate in.
Very true however facts are facts. I plan to wheel the disco I get and I do know I will be in the minority. Look at any wheeling club, majority of the rigs will be jeeps or buggies. I love when I see a rover or disco doing some rock crawling but it's I sight rarely seen.

Sorry for this hijack. If anyone wants to create another thread we could continue this discussion there.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Overlanding

Thanks souljad9...

I'm actually sticking with stock hardware with as easily as this truck dents..and the tiny footprints of the attachment points- there is no way after test fitting, and loading that that I'm going with sheet metal screws.. I plan on actually using this often to access my roof rack.

There is also no way this thing is not going to cause two fairly large dimples without reinforcement even from light use. A mushroomed rivnut with a larger crimped diameter than the actual fastener is the way Im going...along with some stainless steel stock to spread the load on those tiny feet.

Again thanks for all the input.. As with anything everybody has their chosen method.. I just wanted to see what the consensus here was before a single hole was drilled.

Who would have guessed a simple "DIY" ladder install would be such a royal pain in the a$$..

Quick Reply: Just got my new rear ladder from AB.. WTF!!