Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my new rear ladder from AB.. WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Guy
I hear you guys but I guess if it got to the point that a faster ripped out I would tac weld it. Keep in mind my 4x4 experience has been in the jeep world which I would say is a little more hard core wheeling.
First, what does how "hard core" you are have to do with anything discussed in this thread?
Second, please explain how you would tac[sic] weld a steel bracket to an aluminum panel.

Originally Posted by silvertank
there is no way after test fitting, and loading that that I'm going with sheet metal screws.. I plan on actually using this often to access my roof rack.
Maybe the OEM ladder, which I have, is better than the AB one, but
Originally Posted by antichrist
...I installed my ladder...years ago, I use it a lot and it's as solid as the day I installed it, which is rock solid.
Like I said, use whatever you want, but others who might read this thread shouldn't be scared if they don't use rivnuts.

edit: I just looked at the AB one and at least from the photo I can't tell the difference between it and "genuine".

Last edited by antichrist; 01-03-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very true however facts are facts. I plan to wheel the disco I get and I do know I will be in the minority. Look at any wheeling club, majority of the rigs will be jeeps or buggies. I love when I see a rover or disco doing some rock crawling but it's I sight rarely seen.

Sorry for this hijack. If anyone wants to create another thread we could continue this discussion there.
we dont have any jeeps or buggies in our club.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very true however facts are facts. I plan to wheel the disco I get and I do know I will be in the minority. Look at any wheeling club, majority of the rigs will be jeeps or buggies. I love when I see a rover or disco doing some rock crawling but it's I sight rarely seen.

Sorry for this hijack. If anyone wants to create another thread we could continue this discussion there.
See... this is the problem with that statement... You're thinking about the United States only. I'd agree that you see more Jeeps here used for off roading, but the US isnt the only country who wheels.... Go anywhere in the UK and find a 4X4 club with more Jeeps than Rovers... you wont. Its to be expected that the country where the vehicles is made is more popular. You gotta think on a broader scale. Its not our fault Americans don't know how to choose a 4X4...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright boys that's enough. We' re all adults here. The thread served it purpose. And it was not for people to get in a sheet metal screw vs. Rivnut pissing contest.

The a/b genuine ladder is actually from Travall In the UK. They just engineered it to be installed with the included rivnuts.. People have the freedom to install it with crazy glue for all I care..I chose to install as intended. No hijacks/arguments/discussion needed. Just needed some good info from good people.

I turn here to find a smart way to solve a somewhat simple problem with the help of my Rover brothers.(and sisters). It worked, got the tool the insert info, and a few opinions. Job well done. Now go shake hands and share a warm beer

Last edited by silvertank; 01-03-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am fully not an adult. how dare you call me that

Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by antichrist
First, what does how "hard core" you are have to do with anything discussed in this thread?
Second, please explain how you would tac[sic] weld a steel bracket to an aluminum panel.
Hard core, meaning how hard you wheel and how many high obstacles your ladder will encounter. (thought that was obvious)
Is the tail-gate of the Disco Aluminum?

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
See... this is the problem with that statement... You're thinking about the United States only. I'd agree that you see more Jeeps here used for off roading, but the US isnt the only country who wheels.... Go anywhere in the UK and find a 4X4 club with more Jeeps than Rovers... you wont. Its to be expected that the country where the vehicles is made is more popular. You gotta think on a broader scale. Its not our fault Americans don't know how to choose a 4X4...
I guess I was really thinking inside my little world than I realized. Good Point but don't hate, I've been pretty happy with my jeep JK.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

JeepGuy, I respect anybody who uses their 4X4 for what its made for. Off roading as whole is becoming a rare sight nowadays with all the companies going after luxury rather than off road performance. Glad you've been using your Jeep the RIGHT way!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
But then again, you don't allow women either

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by souljad9
But then again, you don't allow women either

they can't drive on the road how the heck are they going to drive off of it!??!?!?!