Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It might not be making contact with the button on the circuit board. I'd take it apart and see if you can get it to work by just pressing the button on the circuit board itself. Then you know if it's the button.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help clarify why everybody is having such a hard time getting their keys cut. The key blank that comes in this remote shell is actually a Hyundai key blank. If you were to go to Lowe's, Walmart, or Home Depot, this is the key blank that matches up with the keyway of our trucks, but as stated in previous posts, the shoulders are farther down the key blank towards the tip. I have looked closely at the new fob, as well as the old fob, and believe that the key blade portion of the old fob can be installed into the new fob. The problem I have run into is that on the new fob, there is a very small drift pin holding the key blank into the rotating portion of the fob. There is a larger drift pin that holds the key blank into the factory fob, but it is perpendicular to the way that the drift pin goes through the key blank on the new remote. The other issue is that the size of the drift pin on the new key blank is so small that I cannot drill a hole through the old blank with anything other than specialty machining tools.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Mudding

Uncut Blank 2 Buttons Flip Folding Remote Fob Key Shell Case for Land Rover | eBay

I like this fob better (next gen LR key) and you'll have less problems getting it cut.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 909wheeler
Uncut Blank 2 Buttons Flip Folding Remote Fob Key Shell Case for Land Rover | eBay

I like this fob better (next gen LR key) and you'll have less problems getting it cut.
What makes you think that?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm almost positive that the other style key fob shell has the EXACT same key blank as the one that I got. Since these are made in China, the Hyundai key blanks are much more readily available than an OE Land Rover key blank, and technically speaking, will work just fine, once you get the shoulders filed down to the same level as the OE LR key.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted to try this mod also since my fobs have definitely seen better days, plus I really hate that on mine, the key portion tends to come off easily... in the ignition... falls on the ground.. etc.. I ended up epoxying the keys into the fobs to keep them from coming out, especially since I have a habit of wearing my keys on my belt loop...

I have a friend at work who is a master locksmith and is bringing his machine in tomorrow to cut my keys. It's an older machine he got when he went through locksmith training/school about 20 years ago or so..

Hopefully this works, but if not, I'm out $26 so not really a big deal...

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
What makes you think that?
Mine were both cut without any issues. Just speaking from my experience as compared to those who had issues getting the other type cut.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 909wheeler

I just ordered one of these. I can report on the cut when it comes in a month.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Drifting

I would like to buy a used Discovery FOB circuit board if anyone has one. I'm repairing mine and the momentary buttons are trash so those are what is needed. I Tried Radio Shack and the buttons they had worked fine but would not fit in the case correctly... Thanks!
Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures-imag0047.jpg

Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lostl13
I would like to buy a used Discovery FOB circuit board if anyone has one. I'm repairing mine and the momentary buttons are trash so those are what is needed. I Tried Radio Shack and the buttons they had worked fine but would not fit in the case correctly... Thanks!
Attachment 16597
Call Will Tillery and order a keyfob from him. Then when it arrives, remove the buttons from it.

Quick Reply: Key and Fob Upgrade Pictures