Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Stuck.

Yay! I've run into my first problem! I thought this might take a month but here we are in just a few short days.

Ok so I unplugged the solenoid under the steering casing. But I would like to fix this, I would not like to rig this. The car SUV is having no other issues, just they key. So is it the key lock? Or the Gear Position Switch? Or..... something else? Where do I start?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Start by downloading the RAVE manual. I have a 97 DI, sometimes my key is a little finicky but if I am smooth with the insertion and pushing in just right, wiggling the steering wheel sightly and slow definite forward movement it works fine. There is a switch on the shifter that prevents the key from releasing from the lock unless the shifter is fully in Park. They say the cable stretches with age.

My original key was severely worn, so I had two new ones made. Sprayed the ignition switch pretty good and handle it carfefully, it works fine. If I jam it in and twist to quick, it tends to hang-up somewhat.

Just don't try to force it or it will break, and they are expensive to replace the ignition switch assembly (over 400 bucks).

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We really need to know the year of the truck before we can help you.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you force the key:
If the gear shifter is not in park, the key cannot be released.
In the D1, is the "thumb" button on the shifter operating normally? In mine the clip came off and jammed the plunger inside the mechanism so the key didn' come off. With a good blade, like the swiss army knife, insert the blade between the black plastic and the fake veneer of the shifter and lift the veneer. The plunger is held in place with a clip, then a half round piece of plastic. Check the clip.
Incidentally, if the shifter rotates even a little bit, the nut deep inside the shifting mechanisn is loose.

If you open the shifter, take pictures.

SD

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for an update. its a 98 and the key sticking problem was in fact the car not being all the way in park. It seems odd but I was at the beach when it happened. decided to go ahead and head home to address the issue, got home same issue as at the beach. Did some reading, and simply went outside and shook the shifter and heard a click into park and everything was a go.

Thanks for the help guys! I did in fact get the RAVE DL.