Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And about comparing an H3 to a discovery...

I've been underneath an H3 before and it made me appreciate the beastly chassis on my project D1. The H3 frame/chassis reminded me a bit of my mom's minivan.

I'm sure its a good vehicle though, just my observations.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good point...many (not all!) issues with the Discos result from the original owner who paid $40K+ and was probably not into the DIY mentality, but just wanted a showy ride to cruise around in and neglected performing the scheduled maintenance. Now prices have dropped (off a cliff!) and all of us are inheriting vehicles that weren't properly taken care of to begin with, which is giving them a bad rap. You probably got one of the few that was owned by someone who could afford it and took the time to keep it up, hence its reliability.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zoso-
And about comparing an H3 to a discovery...

I've been underneath an H3 before and it made me appreciate the beastly chassis on my project D1. The H3 frame/chassis reminded me a bit of my mom's minivan.

I'm sure its a good vehicle though, just my observations.

Beastly or "crude." As a D1 owner, I kind of agree with you but also don't fail to recognize the H3 is a far more modern chassis built with machines and technology that makes the D1 just crude. I can't go on to compare specifics, but I can tell you that the fully boxed D1 frame is heavy and while being fairly rigid it accomplishes this with brute force so to speak.

The LR3 by comparison is probably much stiffer and far lighter weight in this respect (it may be heavier overall but not owing to the frame). While the LR3's hybrid frame/unibody construction may be an unfair comparison, the GM's hydroformed frame is similar in that it was accomplished with modern methods. It may not look as brutal as the D1's frame but you can bet if you run the numbers, the torsional rigidity is very good and it's strength is outstanding for the weight.

Comparing the old Land Rover to much more recent GM frames isn't completely fair. GM is far richer in assets to produce this kind of thing, and the design and construction methods to be used were planned about 20 years into the future from the Land Rover effort.

I'm not extolling the H3 as greater, but for most drivers a modern car has undeniable advantages. The old Land Rovers have their virtues and their vices, but as they age they will be surpassed by modern technologies. Probably not from LR though who seem intent on pursuing the luxury market. Had GM continued to produce hummers, they may very well have introduced a next generation that was sufficiently interesting to capture some of the aftermarket interest that JK's get. Consider that Toyota came very close to doing so with the FJ Cruiser. If they get it right, and the aftermarket catches on, they're only one model introduction away from leaving the Discoveries in the dust. They will continue to be interesting primarily as a classic car would be to those willing to keep them in condition, or as low-cost 4x4 beaters like so many XJ's.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

The FJ cruiser is a joke, sure it's capable, but you mine as well cut the doors out if you want to be able to see ANYTHING around you while you're off road.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binvanna
Beastly or "crude." As a D1 owner, I kind of agree with you but also don't fail to recognize the H3 is a far more modern chassis built with machines and technology that makes the D1 just crude. I can't go on to compare specifics, but I can tell you that the fully boxed D1 frame is heavy and while being fairly rigid it accomplishes this with brute force so to speak.

The LR3 by comparison is probably much stiffer and far lighter weight in this respect (it may be heavier overall but not owing to the frame). While the LR3's hybrid frame/unibody construction may be an unfair comparison, the GM's hydroformed frame is similar in that it was accomplished with modern methods. It may not look as brutal as the D1's frame but you can bet if you run the numbers, the torsional rigidity is very good and it's strength is outstanding for the weight.

Comparing the old Land Rover to much more recent GM frames isn't completely fair. GM is far richer in assets to produce this kind of thing, and the design and construction methods to be used were planned about 20 years into the future from the Land Rover effort.

I'm not extolling the H3 as greater, but for most drivers a modern car has undeniable advantages. The old Land Rovers have their virtues and their vices, but as they age they will be surpassed by modern technologies. Probably not from LR though who seem intent on pursuing the luxury market. Had GM continued to produce hummers, they may very well have introduced a next generation that was sufficiently interesting to capture some of the aftermarket interest that JK's get. Consider that Toyota came very close to doing so with the FJ Cruiser. If they get it right, and the aftermarket catches on, they're only one model introduction away from leaving the Discoveries in the dust. They will continue to be interesting primarily as a classic car would be to those willing to keep them in condition, or as low-cost 4x4 beaters like so many XJ's.

Makes sense, and I agree with you there. It is a case of strong by "brute force" and strong by modern engineering. Both can get the job done, and i don't mean to knock the h3.

The brute force method of land rover has some strange appeal to me though.

Last edited by zoso-; 12-14-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take brute force any day.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He's looking for 7 seaters...H3s, FJs and XJs, while wonderful rides in their own right, don't qualify.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know, looks pretty rugged to me!

Attached Thumbnails The Land Discovery II and its competitors-p75nc.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy

But either way they claim it to be "Acceptable", which is good for me!

that's my other daily driver, considered "good", yay!

Quick Reply: The Land Discovery II and its competitors