Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Leaking Steering Box Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Leaking Steering Box Situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

My 2002 Disco S2 SE is needing to have replaced its leaking steering box, but with so many options out there, ranging from "supposedly" new ones, to remanufactured and "leak-free" used ones, the decision is not an easy one when money is not plenty. I'm leaning towards a remanufactured one, but which brand out there has the better reviews?

I will await your inputs to help me make a good decision, thanks!

Old 02-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

I had the same problem - leaking steering box and steering was really loose. I did not want to spend $400 on a remanufactured box or $1000 on a new one. Decided to take a chance with a used steering box off of ebay that had "no leaks." I cleaned it up and painted it before I installed it. Also used quality power steering fluid (Pentosin) and some Lucas conditioners. Just got everything torqued up and bled earlier this morning. Only 5 miles on it so far but no leaks and the steering is much more tight. I need to adjust the steering wheel though because it is about 10 degrees off.

So, which should you choose? If you don't want to think about it again or mess with it again, I would get a remanufactured unit unless you are cheap like me and don't mind "going back in": if it fails again. Here's a link to the thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post759539

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I had the same problem - leaking steering box and steering was really loose. I did not want to spend $400 on a remanufactured box or $1000 on a new one. Decided to take a chance with a used steering box off of ebay that had "no leaks." I cleaned it up and painted it before I installed it. Also used quality power steering fluid (Pentosin) and some Lucas conditioners. Just got everything torqued up and bled earlier this morning. Only 5 miles on it so far but no leaks and the steering is much more tight. I need to adjust the steering wheel though because it is about 10 degrees off.

So, which should you choose? If you don't want to think about it again or mess with it again, I would get a remanufactured unit unless you are cheap like me and don't mind "going back in": if it fails again. Here's a link to the thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post759539
Thanks for your input. I can understand you opting for the "used" one, since it seems you installed it yourself, and are able to work on truck easily if necessary; unfortunately I now do not have the physical space to work on my Disco, so need to rely on a mechanic for it.

There are many tempting "used" options out there, but having to go back in there if the one installed goes bad sooner, it might be a waste of money. Reason why I'm actually looking for a remanufactured option - besides being budget friendly; but with many brands out there, which has given the best results is the question.

Also getting one with pitman arm is not easy, so I may end up buying it separately.

Again, thanks for your input.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (02-09-2021)