Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2000 need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2000 need opinions

I am looking at buying a used Disco and this is the current one I am interested in. I plan on driving it this weekend and would like some input. I have read the what to look for thread also.

This is what the owner told me:

This is a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II 4x4
runs and drives great,
motor and trans were totally redone by a dealer cost over 8k , I have reciets and warrantys for them
new driveshafts
new brakes and rotors all around
vehicle needs nothing at all.

He told me the warranty on the engine/trans is one year from rover and all is stock. The brakes are lifetime. Driveshaft was 90 days and has expired.

What should I look for? Im new to the rover world but not to off road vehicles so be gentle.

I would eventually like it to be my daily driver but have a backup for now to get the bugs worked out. I do most of my own work but will be finding a reliable mechanic for help.

Thanks for any help

Punchy

Forgot to add that he wants $6500 but I will not buy if he wont come down quite a bit in price.

Last edited by Punchy; 10-06-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: left off the price
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a reply to a similar question - in your case seems like motor issues are taken care of, but review these posts for checklist ideas

Other post In response to a $3800 D1:

see this recent post: what to check on a used 97 with lots of miles?

go to our Discovery 1 section, tech area, and you'll find write up on things to look for, and what is different from D1 to D2.

You can use www.statewidelist.com to search all of craigslist in your state for"rover" and your price range, and the output is grouped by city. Helps you know what people are charging.

Price seem high to me, I paid half that for mine a year ago, and it was never north of South Carolina in its life. At a small dealer.

Make sure it can idle without overheating with AC on for 20 minutes. Look in coolant bottle for bubbles coming up (combustion gas in coolant; there is a chemical test for this you can buy at NAPA) - could indicate head gasket issues. Little flakes (lots and lots of them) floating in coolant - aluminum, copper, brown, black - these come with coolant stop leekz liquid that some people put in the radiator to try to seal up a head gasket. HG will make white smoke come out of exhaust, if that is where it is leaking. Other directions are into the oil or drip on the ground. Coolant temp guage should not read above 9:00 when idling or driving.

When driving, listen for anything that sounds like water rushing through a pipe under the dash. That's gas bubbles making their way through the heater hoses, usually from a head gasket leak.

Borrow a scanner and check for codes.

Look at dipstick - very dark oil, may not have been changed often; baked brown oil on dip stick - run hot and oil not changed often. Open oil fill cap on valve cover, look inside motor. Hopefully you see oil covered parts. Hope you do not see baked on grease (crispy fried).

With this age you can plan on $1000 of repairs to start.

Also full factory tech manual is free download below, called the RAVE.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice checklist, I will put it to use. Thanks Savannah.

I added the price too, the exterior/interior look very good what do you think is fair with the work that has been done?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

depends on what the mileage is on the new motor.... if it is less than 10k i would say $5k is a good price.

You have to replace the front driveshaft with one with greasable u joints.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Do yourself a favor and spend an hour labor to have a pre-purchase inspection done bt a good Rover mechanic. List or no list, you won't have a clue what you are looking for.
As for the lifetime brakes, there is no such thing when it comes to Rovers, just a good way to get someone to buy them. Rovers have their own brake issues and really need special pads to last well, stop fast, not make dust and not throw the 3 amigos.
If you buy this truck, then plan on doing my major service list located at the top of this section to make sure everything is current.