Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy

Hi guys
new to the web site and I need some advise. I found a 2003 Discovery SE for sale. it has approx. 120000 miles and they are asking $5400 for it. So buying a discovery with this many miles what should I be on the look out for.

thanks

Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its too much! 2003 models are prone to oil pump failures. There is a VIN range showing which ones are included. I'd keep looking. Use the search function here to find out all about these before you buy. You can find a better deal. READ READ READ here in the forums!!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Also - before you buy budget for an inspection by your mechanic. He won't have the hots for the new toy. Front drive shaft will need replacement if not rebuilt with full grease fittings on all the U joint. Overheating is common and hidden by poor quality temp gauge - a scanner is the only way to see true temperatures. Head gasket or worse issues place exhaust gas bubbles in coolant, this can be tested for by a $50 ish chemical test that changes color from "smell" of the coolant. Test will do like 16 trucks, so you can carry it and a scanner with you for non-invasive testing. Gurgles under dash should not be tolerated. (exhaust gas bubbles in heater core)

Fully warmed up, and driven and there should be no "ticking" of the engine (slipped cylinder liner). Look under truck for signs of leaks, there can be many places a Rover discharges lubrication from. Most dealers don't park a lot of used ones in the same lot, to avoid super fund site designation.

Dash warning lights should come on at bulb test when cranking. If not, why not? Scanner will show MIL status, which should be same as check engine light on dash. They get cut, painted over, etc.

Sounds bad, but we have plenty of new owners who "discovered" head gasket or cracked block issues on the way home from the sale.

Take your time.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a scanguage or an Ultraguage? Invest in one before you buy and plug it in and see what you have facing you (it would have told me about the 02 sensors on mine). This latest trick caught me: The PO unplugged the "Check Engine Light". I never would have thought about that one.....

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you do not need to worry about the oil pump/gears at this point. I really wish folks on here would stop with this line of commentary. As for the vehicle yo are not giving us much to go on. but as others have said the price seems high for the mileage. I bought my 03 over 3 years ago with under 100K and with it came new headgaskets and new valve train. it cost me less than 5. SO I would A) keep looking, read a lot thru this forum for what others are driving and have bought and feel free to asks as many questions. Find a local idie mechanic. B) offer him 3500-4000 max and if you get it its yours and the money you save at purchase you can spend right away making all sorts of repairs. good luck.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by kdscott100
Do you have a scanguage or an Ultraguage? Invest in one before you buy and plug it in and see what you have facing you (it would have told me about the 02 sensors on mine). This latest trick caught me: The PO unplugged the "Check Engine Light". I never would have thought about that one.....
Another option is to buy an ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth connector unit and carry it with you when inspecting cars. This unit costs around $20. Here is an example:

http://www.elm327-bluetooth.com/

Download a copy Torque Pro and install it into your Android phone ($5). Please note this app only runs on Android:

http://torque-bhp.com/

Hook up the ELM327 unit to the OBD2 port located under the driver dash (footwell).

Run Torque Pro and you can read all sorts of data about the car (e.g., coolant temp, O2 voltage/equivalence ratios, etc) and scan for engine error codes within minutes.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

That is not an option worth buying. If Gerald finds a Discovery he should take it to a good Rover mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Mike,

Agreed, pre-purchase inspections are critical.

I looked at over 20+ Discos before I purchased my 2003. Pre-purchase inspections costs about $100 per car where I live + the time involved to plan logistics between the shop, owner and myself.

Getting the code readings when doing the initial inspections myself will tell me if a certain Disco is worth taking the time to arrange and pay for pre-purchase inspections.

For example, I went to look at a low mileage, cosmetically pristine Disco. My scanning app tells me the owner had just cleared the codes before I took a look at the Disco. Some of the things which he mentioned to me were not consistent which the readings on the scanner. I ended up walking away without wasting my time and money to pay for a pre-purchase inspection.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info. Have a lot of research to do before I make a final decision. But one thing I got from all the posts is get it inspected and if at all possible find one that was well taken care off. Did some searching and all Dis II seem to be going for the same price in the north east of PA but will keep looking and will let you guys know what I find.