Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to do the motor mounts soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking to do the motor mounts soon

I have had a bit of a rumble/rattle when starting and at certain rpms for a while. While doing work last time, I noticed the mounts looked worn, and the driver side might be split. I think this is also making the tick more audiable, as there is a slight leak by the bottom of the header I noticed when I did a Seafoam treatment a few months back.
So, before winter, I would like to get a new set in. A few questions though.
1. Would this be easiest to do with the front wheels on rhino ramps and then jacking the engine up with a floor jack/2x4's? I'm asking for both safety (I would rather not jack the truck and then jack the engine) and ease of use (like is there room enough to do it with the truck on it's wheels).
2. For a guy with big paws, is this going to be near impossible? The write ups I saw mentioned some tough spots. It took me half a day to get the top trans cooler line off and on the trans...not looking to do something like that again!
3. Any other tips and tricks for those that have done this? Useful tools, etc?
Thanks in advance. This and the RAVE are what I'm basing my work on https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...nts-how-30194/

Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Motor mounts will cause clunking and pulling on acceleration and decel. I bet the rattle is from the exhaust making noise. You might have a backed out stud on the exhaust manifold.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If your drivers side is split, it is time for them even if they are not causing your noise.
Do you wheel hard enough to switch to the HD all metal motor mounts or will you stay with the standard rubber?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

to answer your question put the truck on ramps then jack the motor, it will make your life easier.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yea jack it up... then jack the engine...it is really not that difficult. As long as the bolts are not seized. I would start hitting the bolts with PB Blaster a few days prior to starting this adventure. I got lucky. took me all of an hour, start to finish. I went with the standard Rubber mounts kinda wish I had upgraded to the more extreme mounts available. Oh remember to disconnect the air box to the MAF I forgot and jacked the engine to the point of cracking the snap lock connector...

Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If your drivers side is split, it is time for them even if they are not causing your noise.
Do you wheel hard enough to switch to the HD all metal motor mounts or will you stay with the standard rubber?
I don't think I want to go HD, unless someone tells me there are good reasons. I use this for ski trips, mountain biking, etc. some light off road use too. Nothing extreme. I went to a HD style in a car I would take to the track, and it caused much more vibration to be felt in the cabin during normal driving.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Based on what your diving is, the HD mounts would be over kill.