Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first Disco purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first Disco purchase

I'm looking to purchase my first Disco. It would be a daily driver with some occasional Texas Hill Country trails. What should I look for/stay away from in my purchase. Also, aren't the new Disco's much more reliable than in the past? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

-The Uglyness

Old 09-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Looking for first Disco purchase

I read your other post and I agree those guys. You're not going to be hard on it so it will hold up with just some small repairs here and there. I have always been a fan of the 95 - 99 models, just my preference. I do suggest researching the Disco you want to buy. If you purchase one that has good maintenance records then that is less repairs you will probably have to do. Discos are great trucks as long as you do good upkeep on them. I am a 24 yo woman and I somehow have managed to do all of the repairs on mine myself. I hope this helps, from one southerner to another.
Nikki

Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a 95 and love it, it wasnt meant to be a daily driver but it has turned into one.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Mudding

I've had my 03 for 7 months now. Breaks A LOT, but I still love it. I don't know if it's the year or what, but MAN that thing breaks all the time. It's my daily driver + weekend trips, camper towing etc...

Brian

Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Rock Crawling

what sort of breakage are we talking about? Big stuff, little stuff? Easy to identify and fix or major stuff?

Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Drifting

LOOOOVE my Disco II - Mine is a 2000 - like the older models better than the new. I bought my last year with 47,000 miles and it came with 100,000 mile warranty. It covers EVERYTHING!!! I have had zero problems with mine - but I am also very diligent about weekly checks and prevenative maint. Good luck on your purchase!!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Overlanding

i have a 2002 discovery i bought 3 months ago. it is my only vehicle, so it is my daily-driver, off roader, road tripper. i had a thing with vw/audi for the past ten years but was looking for something completely different. i found it, love it and have had only 1 minor problem, which was an easy and quick repair done by me. i am looking for another discovery, a 95-98 model to do more wheeling in when i get the anxious city feeling. also remeber people with bad experiences like to complain and those that have no problem's are usually not the ones to give such positive props for their car. that being said buy carefully, screw what other's tell you, and you will never be happier :-)

Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Disco I is not as up scale as the Disco II and has
much less of a problem with the ABS / traction control.

The Disco I is easier to work on.

The bad part is finding one that has not been beat up (Disco I)

Off road Disco I better.

On road Disco II better.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Mudding

Bigugly82:

Nothing too major and thankfully it's under warranty. I'm not trying to discurage you from buying one, I DO love my Disco and (after buying the extended warranty) I don't getting rid of it any time soon.

Here's a list of things I have had done in the 7 (15,000 miles)months I've had it.

Wheel Speed sensor replaced
Cruise controll replaced twice -still not working right -could be the shop's issue not LR though.
Ignition replaced
Exhost studs fell off and had to have it reattached - Normal driving conditions
Computer Replaced (I'm assuming the ECU)
Radio just stopped working -later found a key combination that "resets" the radio.
Rear Storage compartment just fell apart one day -coupla bucks in screws no big deal
Sparkplug wires -I know that's normal maint stuff
Brakes only lasted 15,000 miles (Granted, I've been towing a 3000lb trailer through the mountains of Nevada, California, Arizona and Utah)

That being said, I love my Disco, it's the nicest car I've ever had, I can do eveything that my 4-wheel buddies do in thier jacked up pickups and SUVs. The only guy I think that can go places I can't is the guy with the Rubicon. That's about it, but he can't tow for crap. I've got a folding tent trailer that I camp in with my friends, and we haul that thing with my Disco in to places that some people's trucks couldn't even go. The air suspension and gotten me out of several sticky situations and the hill decent feature is the COOLEST thing EVER! I even used it with the trailer on! It was awesome.

Brian