Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to the future... Bobbed, chopped, and trimmed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Ok, further modified the photoshopped image. Added limb risers and an LED bar over the windshield. I'm also trying to decide between Cragars and Stock rims with spacers. Buying a set of 5 cragars is actually cheaper than a set of 2" wheel spacers plus a new set of lug nuts because mine have started to rust under the caps. Gimme your thoughts.

Name:  Xxst79M.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  119.9 KB

Name:  7eaUNJt.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  SEAq5Zj.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  Rqu5zk5.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  124.3 KB

Old 11-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I would tend to avoid going with 35s and coilovers on a "daily driver" or "overland" vehicle....

Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Camel Trophy

I can understand why you'd say that about the 35s, at least the daily driver part, but I'm not sure why coilovers would be an issue nor am I sure why 35s would be an issue on an overland vehicle. Could you elaborate?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

"overlanding" is the idea of long distance typically vehicle-sustained travel. If you have a vehicle with tires that large you are burning more fuel, giving the potential for more failures, and will have a harder time find tires locally.

As for coilovers, if one fails/breaks you'll be extremely lucky to find a suitable replacement anywhere but a specialized company. You have also just gotten rid of the nearly bullet proof coil spring for a coilover with 2 potential failure points that would stop you dead in your tracks.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, cool. Totally understand those reasons. Maybe coil overs aren't the best option, I'll do some more research on different springs and things. Still pretty set on the 35s, and pretty much all my driving will be in North America so gas shouldn't be too hard for me to find. Thanks!

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-19-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Added some yellow as a throw back to the Camel Trophy days. Maybe I'll do a yellow antennae or something instead. I dunno yet, but I want to do some sort of throwback like that. Maybe do a G4 Easter Egg somewhere too.
Name:  Ka7EYFc.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  120.2 KB

Old 11-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ok, cool. Totally understand those reasons. Maybe coil overs aren't the best option, I'll do some more research on different springs and things. Still pretty set on the 35s, and pretty much all my driving will be in North America so gas shouldn't be too hard for me to find. Thanks!
I mentioned on another thread today that I wish i had less tall tires. Screws up my gearing and I get right around 250 miles on a tank of gas. The amount of extra gas i'm going to have to carry on my Alaska trip because of my tire choice makes me sad.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I totally understand that. I'm currently running 32s on stock gears and I'm getting about 250 on a tank same as you. 35s with 4.11 gears will actually be a lower final drive, so there shouldn't be too much gas mileage decrease. Probably some decrease on highway, but should get the same mileage or even a lieeetle increase around town. I'm not worried about a little mileage decrease anyway as it is.

Gonna probably have to build a custom gas tank too. Factory isn't going to fit with the axle moved back and the a** moved forward, so my range will probably get cut down to around 185-200 miles excluding the jerry can holders I'll weld in somewhere.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, so a little update. I have my new welder and got to practice with it a little yesterday (finally). I'll start moving forward on prep for some of this stuff, though I wont be spending any money on it until I get my exhaust replaced because of my massive post-cat exhaust leak.

I did shoot RTE an email earlier about their castor corrected control arms, because I believe that their arms are just factory arms that have been cut, bent, and welded. I asked if I could get the rear arms also lengthened 3-4" so that I wouldn't have to cut and weld the rear arm mounts farther back.

I'm also going to call up some local driveshaft shops and get a quote on lengthened HD driveshafts. Maybe with a larger diameter, double cardon in the rear, multiple double cardon in the front, and a larger tube like those found on a full size truck. Not sure yet, we'll see soon.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I just heard back from RTE about 30 minutes ago. He called and we talked for a few minutes. He said that he could do it if that's what I wanted done and that when I was ready to do it to call him back and he'd talk my ear off about it. He also told me about a Disco 1 he bobbed back when he was in CA and recommended maybe doing something like that, and if I was going to hack the body work to go ahead and weld in a cage and make her a convertible. I didn't have a ton of time to talk, so I didn't tell him that that was pretty much exactly my plan, but it's good to hear that my ideas pretty much exactly lined up with the ideas of someone experienced as himself. I think that RTE will be an invaluable resource moving forward in this.

I've yet to talk to any driveshaft shops, but that will happen soon. I'm really looking forward to this.

Quick Reply: Looking to the future... Bobbed, chopped, and trimmed.