Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant but not sure where

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
I had that exact same issue.. blown head gasket is most likely your problem.. get it checked ASAP! I did not because I was new to Rovers and ended up having to replace a blown motor...
Romove your oil filler cap and drag a finger inside it to see if you get a yellowish colored oil.. that means antifreeze is in there...
So if there is no yellowing in the engine oil then does that certainly rule out a bad headgasket?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
So if there is no yellowing in the engine oil then does that certainly rule out a bad headgasket?
No. Head gaskets can fail internally and externally. Internal failure can cause coolant to mix with the oil. I have had an external leak at the rear right corner for the past year. I check my coolant level twice a week, and it maybe goes down about 3/4" a week in my reservoir.

I have a set of heads already machined with the valves cleaned, but I am waiting for a "round tuit".

Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
No. Head gaskets can fail internally and externally. Internal failure can cause coolant to mix with the oil. I have had an external leak at the rear right corner for the past year. I check my coolant level twice a week, and it maybe goes down about 3/4" a week in my reservoir.

I have a set of heads already machined with the valves cleaned, but I am waiting for a "round tuit".
Hmm well as I posted in another thread, I to am not losing coolant. Have to top off every other day. Cant find any puddles on the ground and the engine oil cap is still dark brown. No coolant smell in the cabin and no overheating. Trying to figure this one out. Already replaced the throttle body heater plate and gasket. IF my headgaskets are not bad (cross my fingers) and with no visible coolant on the ground where else can coolant move to?

Regarding your leak, I assume then that an external headgasket leak would leave a visible trail or puddle of coolant on the ground then right?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Regarding your leak, I assume then that an external headgasket leak would leave a visible trail or puddle of coolant on the ground then right?
Actually... No.

Honestly, I don't know whether it is a head gasket leak, or manifold leak, but at 138k miles, I am going to change the head gaskets anyway. I can see coolant dye (I added dye a while ago) on the right side of the bellhousing, and a few drops of dye on my drive shaft, but no coolant ever makes it to the ground, in any kind of appreciable amount. I assume most of it burns off before it drips off the engine, as the leak is so slow.

When my water pump started leaking the other week, that definitely left a puddle on the ground. It was enough for me to notice as I was backing out of the driveway in a hurry.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I checked the oil cap and filler neck this morning cold, no condensation on cap, it was dry. Ran finger inside neck and it was dark brown and chalky (not wet). Could not smell or detect coolant. May be close to time for oil change so I can inspect oil. Going to call someone who does Rover work and look for other mechanics in the Dallas area who may be able to test the engine or even do the gasket job if needed. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus

Can the block get damaged where it contacts the heads if you wait too long to replace them ?? I read (probably on here ) that the coolant can cut a channel in the block or head if left too long.
Might find that roundtuit sooner rather than later if this is true.
Would hate to see you have to have a new engine block due to a problem you new about.
But maybe that is mythical?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

no you are correct; if not repaired the steam can cut a grove in the head or block