Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Engine Plastic Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I did. I do. And I only care because I have a few I'd like to sell.
Paul don't be mercenary

Old 09-14-2017 | 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fast951
Does anyone run the lower plastic engine cover on their Disco? Does anyone even know there should be a lower engine cover? Does anyone even care?
I just got one from Paul, and installed it. It's quieter, and I wanted it on there, as my intermediate steering shaft was caked in crap and failed.

It's sort of a pain for repairs, but I'd rather protect my engine and hises than save 15 minutes for repairs I rarely make.

I painted Ted the inside of it with Blue Engine paint so I can easily see dropped screws/bolts and any fluids collecting.

Old 09-14-2017 | 08:08 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I did. I do. And I only care because I have a few I'd like to sell.
I'de like to buy the round oil filter door for my 04, as it was gone when I bought the truck.

Personally, I like the splash guard. Hot aluminum doesn't like cold water from puddles and mud holes. It also increases gas mileage, probably at least 1/10 mpg, lol.
It comes out so easy too. 4 screws, jack up frame, turn it sideways and pull it back and down.
I'm suprised that some people don't like them.

Old 09-14-2017 | 08:37 AM
Camel Trophy

All these bonuses I've never seen or heard about before. Might be time to add one back to my truck.

I could use that old watch for fallen rocks sign I have. That would be pretty funny to crawl under and see.

Old 09-14-2017 | 09:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
All these bonuses I've never seen or heard about before. Might be time to add one back to my truck.

I could use that old watch for fallen rocks sign I have. That would be pretty funny to crawl under and see.
lol, if it fits, do it!

Old 09-14-2017 | 09:08 AM

Not that I wish to appear mercenary Paul but remember I'm on a percentage of sales eh

Old 09-14-2017 | 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I'de like to buy the round oil filter door for my 04, as it was gone when I bought the truck.

Personally, I like the splash guard. Hot aluminum doesn't like cold water from puddles and mud holes. It also increases gas mileage, probably at least 1/10 mpg, lol.
It comes out so easy too. 4 screws, jack up frame, turn it sideways and pull it back and down.
I'm suprised that some people don't like them.
where did you jack the frame up?

Old 09-14-2017 | 10:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Frame or front cross member.
Where ever that lifts the frame, just to the point that the front suspension is completely extended. Front tire, or tires about to come off the ground.
You can get the oil pan off this way too.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Engine Plastic Cover-20170805_204958.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017 | 10:12 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Frame or front cross member.
Where ever that lifts the frame, just to the point that the front suspension is completely extended. Front tire, or tires about to come off the ground.
You can get the oil pan off this way too.

I jack it up on the passenger side (U.S model).
That way, there's plenty of room to get the splash guard out. As said above, pull the guard back, and turn the back side of it towards the driver side. It'll turn about completely sideways, then you can pull it down and out to the left. It's really simple.
The oil pan comes off easily this way too. Only you must remove the front driveshaft, and pick-up tube (2 visible bolts with easy wrench access), then spin oil pan 180 degrees to where the back of the pan faces the front.
Pull it back and down to the left also.
I know you didn't ask about the oil pan, but just thought I'de add the info for anyone looking.

Old 09-14-2017 | 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench

I was able to slip mine out the front by simply removing the steering stabilizer. It stays removed and it the areas it supposedly keeps clean get dirty there's better access for cleaning.

The underbelly panel prevents the early warning system(small leaks/seeps) from reaching the ground and being easily noticed while down below doing routine mx. It would be a PIA to remove for each inspection IMO and other repairs.

Likely originally installed to increase mpg by the previously mentioned 0.10 mpg and to reduce the number of reported leaks during the warranty period. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Lower Engine Plastic Cover