Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 - Your take?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default LR3 - Your take?

I'm not even remotely thinking about getting a LR3, but I was curious how the new Land Rovers compare to mine, and what changes have happened under Ford's ownership. So when I went in to pick up parts the other day at the Land Rover dealership the other day I gave the LR3 a thorough look-over, underneath, under the hood and inside. I was expecting that it would have been significantly cheapend up in terms of the frame and drivetrain. I was impressed that the frame was beefy and appeared quite stout, the axles and suspension appeared quite rugged compare to other sport utilities and even full-sized trucks. It looked like it was well made and didn't see any quality issues that struck me. I wasn't impressed with the interior lay-out, nor the cheap, lightweight plastics they use. But I feel that way about most new cars. Heck if it is going to get awful fuel economy, might as well use heavier plastics and more padding to give it an "air" of higher quality. I didn't take one for a drive, but overall,my impression was positive and I was pleased to see they are stillrugged underneath.

Right afterwards, I cruised into a Toyota dealership and inspectedan FJ cruiser. I wasn't impressed. There wasabout as much plastic on the outside as a ChevyAvalanche and the frame and running gearappeared light duty and uninspiring. One thing that turns me off is when a mfgr paints a plastic bumper silver trying to pass it off as chrome.I would have thought Toyota would try to maintan the FJ heritage and go rugged on this one but not so in my eyes.It's a city-slicker SUV.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: LR3 - Your take?

I have driven a LR3 and didnt like it. Doesnt feel as capible as my '97. It rides nice in the highway but it feels like a soft-roader. I would be afraid to take it on anything more that 2-tracks.
I feel the same about the Toyota. If you want a Yoda that can compete with a Rover you need the Land Cruiser.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LR3 is a great Land Rover but will never take what a
old Disco will.
I was never intended to do what older LR's could do,
most of the rest of the world has the Defenders for that.

I like the way the LR3 can move with 300 hp there abouts
on road its can hold its own with most other SUV's that never see
dirt and can still go off roading better than most new SUV's.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be interesting to hear from someone who's actually been off-road in an LR3 or in their Disco with an LR3 on the same trail...how do they compare in the real dirt?

Didn't DiscoMike recently go off-roading with some other Rovers? I think the otherswere stock with street tires though. Were there any stock Discos with street tires there also?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And in 2011/12 the LR3 and Defender will share a common platform according to current plans, so the new Defender will have the same issues.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attended the LR3 launch in Canada, it was the most impressiveLand RoverI ever drove off road (stock).and I've driven them all.they set up an off road drive that put it through a steep rockycourse .I never would have expected it would be able to complete the terrain at all. It was veary difficult just walking the course, One note though , all of the vehicles were equipped with the optional locking diffs , an option that I would insist on after witnessing what they are capable of even with the stock tires, The ride is silky smooth , the ergonomics are perfect. And the drive train is free of any issues in the real world. My impression after all these years ,ITS AREAL LAND ROVER