Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M, S, and D flashing PLUS TC and Hill Descent lights on dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:40 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M, S, and D flashing PLUS TC and Hill Descent lights on dash

My 2003 Discovery 2 recently had a dead battery after sitting unused most of the summer while I worked on (or didn’t work on to be honest!) another issue. The battery wouldn’t take a charge and tested as being bad so I bought a new one and installed. Now when I start it up I’m getting M, S and the D light flashing and the TC and Hill Descent lights are also on. The ABS light is not on however. When I drive I’m not having any issue with the transmission shifting and it doesn’t seem to be in transmission limp mode that I can tell. I’ve taken it out on the highway and it seems to be shifting normally up to highway speeds, although it just shows as the flashing D on the dash so I can’t tell what gear it’s in.

I’ve been searching forums and google but I just see discussions about the normal M, S & D situation but this doesn’t seem to fit that exactly, or am I mis-reading the symptoms?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-30-2019, 04:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

What fault codes are you getting? Try and clear them and go for drive. Report back.
Oh yeah... check all your battery connections for being loose and/or corroded & battery cables being frayed and/or corroded.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 AM
5th Gear

I do have the SES light also 3 fault codes:

P1884 CAN Message
P0123 Throttle/pedal Position Sensor
P0130 O2 Circuit

When I clear the codes the SES light goes out and doesn’t return while driving but does return after shutting off and the starting again. None of the other lights go out after I clear codes.

I cleaned the battery terminals and they are tight connections to the battery. I’ll double check and look at the cables closer.

The following users liked this post:
Deane (09-13-2021)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM
5th Gear

So I was checking connections in the engine compartment and since I’m getting a P0123 Throttle Position Sensor error I check the throttle body and low and behold the connector is loose! I reconnect and clear the codes with my scan tool. When I restart, no more codes, no more M, S, D flashing or TC and Hill Descent lights! I take it for a test drive and everything seems fine. Eventually the P0130 O2 Sensor code has returned along with the SES light, but that’s a problem for another day.