Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major coolant leak, curious sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a "crappy" water pump on my D1. It was a new(not rebuilt) from allmakes(oem supplier). Have 2+years and 35k+ miles on it with no prob's so far.

Oh yea, and it cost a little under $100 vs $200+ for oem.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nitefall
Sorry Daryl, that pic is of the old pump i took off. The new one i got from Atlantic.
Right...I knew that was the old one, because it was filthy. My point was that it looks like one of the cheap rebuilds, and....surprise, it failed on you.

Originally Posted by drowssap
so you meen the "CHEAP WATERPUMP REPLACEMENT SPOTTED" was actually the factory water pump?
There is no way that was the factory pump. OEM has a machined brass impeller.

Originally Posted by kenk
I have a "crappy" water pump on my D1. It was a new(not rebuilt) from allmakes(oem supplier). Have 2+years and 35k+ miles on it with no prob's so far.

Oh yea, and it cost a little under $100 vs $200+ for oem.
I'm not saying they won't last at all. I'm saying the quailty of some of them I've seen are highly suspect. There is a consistency problem with cheap rebuilds, and it is not limited to DII water pumps. Good for you, you got a decent one. I've returned two from atlantic british, and didn't even accept one across the parts counter at napa before giving up and getting an OEM pump.

Also, if you think an OEM pump costs over $200, you must be getting ripped off. You don't actually buy parts from the dealer, do you?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
CHEAP WATERPUMP REPLACEMENT SPOTTED
On a different topic, my favorite gasket removal tool is this. Well, not tool, but material. I run them on a little angle grinder. They are magic - fast and easy, but they don't gouge up the part you are working on.
Scotch-brite disk are awesome! My Snap-on guy would drop me off a pack every week. Just don't get too crazy with them on aluminum. I use them on a mini die grinder. Makes short work of gasket removal. Actually, cleans up just about anything nice.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not the factory pump. Think it had been replace before. That's probably why the gasket got caught up in the impeller. Whoever replace the factory pump didn't put theirs on right.
Nitefall