Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many Problems: Leaks, Brake Lights, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Problems: Leaks, Brake Lights, etc...

Hello,

I recently purchased a 98 Discovery and have since found many little problems that I am ignorant on as to a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know very little about technical terms and things of the sort, but will try and answer questions if needed.

First, the leaks. There is a leak from the "crankshaft seal" (as I was told by someone), after driving approximately 50 miles, I had leaked around a quart of oil.
There is also a leak coming from the power steering box area, no real idea where that is coming from but I don't seem to be loosing much fluid there.

Now, the brake lights don't work...at all. I read the other thread down the page, but that problem prohibited the discovery from shifting out of park. I am not sure if this requires the same fix or not, but I wanted to ask.
The passenger seat (power seats), was reclined today and won't go back up. The seat moves forward and back, but won't "un-recline", I am assuming it is the motor on the seat, but maybe a common/easy fix is available?

The rear windows will go down with the front control, but won't go back up. I browsed over something on "roverparts" that said it was a wiring fix in the glove box, but that fix was for a total lack of control of the back windows. Is this what you would recommend?

In four low, the disco seems to "jump" every once 15-30 seconds. I remember hearing of this problem being more severe, but don't know of the cause of it or a remedy.

Also, I currently have 30/11.5 wheels and they rub on the inside, I was looking at Kumho Road Venture M/T 265/75/16 tires. Do you think these would reduce the rubbing? I can currently turn my wheel one full rotation and an additional quarter turn before I worry about the rub.

Again, any and all help for these problems would be greatly appreciated as I have little auto knowledge and am even more ignorant on specific vehicles.
Thank you for your time and help.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Many Problems: Leaks, Brake Lights, etc...

ORIGINAL: nate13

Hello,

I recently purchased a 98 Discovery and have since found many little problems that I am ignorant on as to a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know very little about technical terms and things of the sort, but will try and answer questions if needed.

First, the leaks. There is a leak from the "crankshaft seal" (as I was told by someone), after driving approximately 50 miles, I had leaked around a quart of oil.
There is also a leak coming from the power steering box area, no real idea where that is coming from but I don't seem to be loosing much fluid there.

Now, the brake lights don't work...at all. I read the other thread down the page, but that problem prohibited the discovery from shifting out of park. I am not sure if this requires the same fix or not, but I wanted to ask.
The passenger seat (power seats), was reclined today and won't go back up. The seat moves forward and back, but won't "un-recline", I am assuming it is the motor on the seat, but maybe a common/easy fix is available?

The rear windows will go down with the front control, but won't go back up. I browsed over something on "roverparts" that said it was a wiring fix in the glove box, but that fix was for a total lack of control of the back windows. Is this what you would recommend?

In four low, the disco seems to "jump" every once 15-30 seconds. I remember hearing of this problem being more severe, but don't know of the cause of it or a remedy.

Also, I currently have 30/11.5 wheels and they rub on the inside, I was looking at Kumho Road Venture M/T 265/75/16 tires. Do you think these would reduce the rubbing? I can currently turn my wheel one full rotation and an additional quarter turn before I worry about the rub.

Again, any and all help for these problems would be greatly appreciated as I have little auto knowledge and am even more ignorant on specific vehicles.
Thank you for your time and help.
The oil seal needs to be fixed.
The back windows controler is behind the glove box and sometimes can be taken out and fixed .
The seat is most likely the controller.
The tires are to big, the largest but may still may rub is 245/75/16 this is with no lift.
The jumping is more likely the large tires.
The power steering leak is made worse by the over size tires.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 AM
TReK

I forgot the brake lights.
If it was the brake switch you could not get out of park.
I would change all the bulbs even if they look good.
If this doesn't work check the ground wires.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless you are real mechanical and very familiar with the Disco, I would suggest you find a small local shop and have them give your truck a once over and a estimate for each item that needs repairing.
Mike

Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

How many miles are on it? I have a 98 and just curious when all that misery will be heading my way...

Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear

My disco has 122,000 miles on it, but, I don't think many of these problems are normal. From what I have gathered, the previous owner abused it severly. (They may be normal, but again it seems like most of the problems could have been avoided or pampered sooner)

I took it to a local mechanic today, he says that it is leaking from the oil cooler lines and the front and rear crankshaft seal.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I would suggest you degrease your engine, power scrube it, put some engine oil dye into the oil and then get a second mechanic to look at it.
Front and rear seals as a pair of failing seals is not common and damm expensive to repair. You may have a leaking intake manifold causing leaks at both the front and rear of the engine.
Mike

Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

I degreased and power sprayed the engine the day after I received it and the first mechanic I took it to said just the front seal, but didn't really investigate further.
Yesterday, I took it to another mechanic and he showed me the build-up of running oil down the cooler line, and I have seen the front seal's leak. The rear he said "looks like it has leaked a bit, but it isn't as important as the front 2."

He quoted me around $531 in labor for all 3, $396 of that being on the back seal (8.8 hours). The front 2 are supposed to take approximately 3 hours.

Is there any troubleshooting site or someone that could give information on my passenger seat? It is getting rather annoying fully reclined....

I don't think the previous owner did any maintenance on this Disco, nor do I think she acknowledged any leaks and attempted to fix them prior to them getting more severe.

...should I expect any more problems in the near future or can I hope for most to be done after this?